Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Board of Education USB, RFID Reader — Parallax Forums

Parallax Board of Education USB, RFID Reader

forumwareforumware Posts: 3
edited 2005-12-09 03:21 in BASIC Stamp
Hi..

Please excuse my ignorance about some of these things. I just bought this kit and have messed around for a couple of hours. I have no prior knowledge in electronics of any sort..

That being said... (no flames please)... [noparse]:)[/noparse] I need some HELP!

I have followed some of the examples in " Whats a microcontroller upto page 89". But I have a project I want to Do with RFID.

1. I have no clue on how to setup the RFID module to the education board. Could someone post some pics? I just want to read some of the tags that i ordered with the kit. I want to run the rfid_basic.bs2 code from the website.

2. Is it possible to read two tags at once...The manual for the reader mentions there might be some collisions? I want to basically guess the distance the rfid tag is from an object

tag1 (1)
ruler
(3mm) tag2. Is it possible to figure out the distances between tag1 and tag2?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

forumware

Comments

• Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2005-12-07 14:08
    No flame...but you need to do some more reading. With your lack of experience, you need to get a better grounding in the basics (pun) before trying something like you describe.

That being said, an RFID reader by itself is strictly that...a reader whch gives you the code embedded in the tag. The app notes that came with the Parallax reader should tell you exactly how to hook up the reader to your board and provide an example program to make sure that it can "see" the tags you have. As for your "distance measuring" project, RFID is not the technology of choice...think ultrasonic or infrared for that. (although, I can envision an RFID reader on a 'bot which travels "over" the tags and with calibration and math "guesses" at the distance between the two...hmmm...)

Keep learning to walk...you're on a good track...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Truly Understand the Fundamentals and the Path will be so much easier...
  • forumwareforumware Posts: 3
    edited 2005-12-07 23:44
    Thanks for your reply.

I have been tinkering around some more. I guess I am starting to read some of the schematics. I downloaded both programs from the website.

Maybe i can post a pic sometime and see if I am connecting this reader to the board correctly,

thanks again.. (1 step forward...2 steps back...but hey i'm learning how to walk [noparse];)[/noparse] )

Forumware
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-12-08 00:26
    No problem, I will be glad to help you get this working.· You can post your·picture and I will·verify it for you.· I have have performed several tests using this device.· You can only read one tag at a time.· The distance that it reads the tags may vary depending on the environment that is in.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-12-08 05:59
    forumware -

If you're serious about learning about the Basic Stamp, how to apply it, and learing how to program, Parallax has many EXCELLENT educational materialsand texts, that are FREE for the download, for self- study. Check the Parallax web site for more information, and also for a FREE copy of the PBASIC Stamp Manual, which is a MUST! Here is a link to their web site: http://www.parallax.com .

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2005-12-09 03:21
    Addressing the question on reading multiple tags at the same time:

With this class of RFID, you will only be able to read one tag at a time. Depending on the distance, and tag type, you may be able to have two or more tags "over" the antenna, but only one will be read. You can sometimes get a series of tags very close to each other, and pass them over the antenna and get a series of tags to read in tern, but this is not reliable.

In higher end RFID systems, the tags and reader have "anti-collision" features built in so that a "pallet" of parts can be read and all the tags "registered". In the case of this reader, I have usally been able to read one of the tags, but at times you'll still get no reading. It is not possible to consistantly predict which of several tags in the "read zone" will be read if they are all present when the reader is activated.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10