Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ap-8 and bs2 — Parallax Forums

ap-8 and bs2

xhjbtaxhjbta Posts: 3
edited 2005-12-06 15:44 in BASIC Stamp
We are currently trying to use the BS2 to control the ap-8 audio player. I load the code into the software and execute it, and the debug screen comes up, however there seems to be no output what so ever to the ap-8.· We have the red black white cable plugged into the X5 spot on the bs2 REV B board, and into the serial part of the AP8.

the code i am using is the sample code off of your website.

thanks for any help you can give us.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-12-05 15:24
    Things to check:

1) Does the AP-8 have power? Is the power switch on?
    2) Are you connecting to the SER header on the AP-8? Is the polarity correct on the connector correct (on the AP-8, black is near the edge of the pcb)
    3) Do you have the correct baud rate setting for the AP-8 baud jumper selection?
    4) Do you have toe correct address for the AP-8 address jumpers selection?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • xhjbtaxhjbta Posts: 3
    edited 2005-12-05 15:32
    the address is something i was not to sure about.

I was not sure if the address was the "X5" on the rev b board, or if you used the 15, 14, 13, or 12 exactly; this might not be the correct idea at all .

the baud rate is something i am not sure about. Do you think you could give me a little more detail about it?

should it be the typical 9600? or is it supposed to be something different?
    edited 2005-12-05 15:37
    No, the AP-8 works at 2400 or 38.4k baud (matches our PSC) -- the baud rate is based on the Baud jumper. Your BS2 program needs to match the AP-8 jumper installation. Also, you need to make sure that the pin selection in your BS2 program matches what you're actually connected to (you can use 12 - 15, just make sure your program matches).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • xhjbtaxhjbta Posts: 3
    edited 2005-12-06 13:33
    I was wondering if anyone could post an example code to allow you to use the BS2 chip to control the ap8, so i can get a basic idea of what to go for.
    edited 2005-12-06 15:44
    Sure -- here you go.· Note that the demo is setup for 38.4 kBaud (Baud jumper installed) and address %11 (ID0 and ID1 jumpers installed).· You must also make sure that all the selection DIP switches on the AP-8 are set to the "Open" position, otherwise the onboard micro (hidden under the ISD2560) cannot control the individual sounds.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams

Post Edited (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 12/6/2005 3:47:10 PM GMT