Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop-1 Connection Problems — Parallax Forums

Prop-1 Connection Problems

lukeluke Posts: 12
edited 2005-12-05 17:58 in BASIC Stamp
·We are using the prop-1 controller in our electronics class, and having problems connecting to the computer·with the serial cable.· The port works but the computer dosen't see the bs2 and we cant up-load any programs to it.· Can any one help?

Post Edited By Moderator (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 12/5/2005 1:31:17 PM GMT

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-12-05 13:34
    The Prop-1 is BS1-based, but I don't think that is the problem if you have the latest version of our IDE (version 2.2). What usually happens is that the BS1 Serial Adapter gets plugged in upside-down. Check the documentation (latest is on our web site); it shows the BS1-SA connected (components side is up). Also, make sure that the port is not being used by anyting else (e.g., PDA download software).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • lukeluke Posts: 12
    edited 2005-12-05 14:59
    Thanks for the quick reply. We were careful to observe the proper serial adapter connection (arrows up). I am not sure what you mean by IDE, but the port is not being used by any other software.
    edited 2005-12-05 15:25
    The IDE is our editor software -- you need to have a version that supports the BS1; the latest is version 2.2. Do you have power (6 - 24 volts, DC) to the Prop-1? Is the power switch on (position 1 or 2) and the power LED lit?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2005-12-05 15:32
    We did have the power to the prop-1 and had a red LED lit. The software we were using was downloaded off the Paralax website and was the 2.2 version. still no luck.
    edited 2005-12-05 15:38
    Best to call Tech Support at 888-512-1024 and let them walk you through it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-05 15:42
    Luke,

·· Is this a laptop or Desktop computer?· Are you using a Serial/COM Port or a USB to Serial Adapter?· If a Serial/COM Port have you tried disabling the FIFO Buffers?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-12-05 15:47
    Chris, this is a desktop dell with Windows XP office os, and we are
    using the serial/com port we did try to disable the buffers with no luck.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-05 17:58
    As per the phone conversation with me this morning I would recommend trying a standard serial cable.· It sounds like possibly your cable is not standard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com