Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to Wire a BS2 — Parallax Forums

How to Wire a BS2

BorgelBorgel Posts: 23
edited 2005-12-04 22:17 in BASIC Stamp
I was looking at the schematic for the BS2, and had a few questions.

Does anything need to be attached to "ATN"?

What needs to be connected to "RES"?

Do both "VSS"'s need to be connected?

Does ground connect to "VDD"?

What connects to "VIN"?

Can "SIN" and "SOUT" float? If not, what circut needs to be attached to it? A 10K pull-down or pull-up?

What are the minimum connections that need to be made in order to use the BS2 on a breadboard (not counting IO pins)? I am not intrested in programming it here, just running it temporarily. It can be provided with either 9 volt power or 5 volt regulated power.

Thanks!
Borgel
712 x 838 - 104K

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-12-03 00:49
    You can't run it if it is not programmed.· To program, the Sout, Sin and ATN pins must be connected to a DB9.· Res is a Reset and goes to ground via a pushbutton.· Dowload the schematic for a BOE from Parallax and take a look.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • BorgelBorgel Posts: 23
    edited 2005-12-03 01:39
    To clarify that, I will be programming it in a USB-BOE and then putting it in the breadboard. So it will be programmed, just not while it is in the breadboard.
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-12-03 02:00
    Once a BS2 is programmed, on power up it will execute the prorgam. The program is stored on the BS2's EEprom an will remain there regardless of power, until it is reprogrammed.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-03 05:25
    Borgel said...(trimmed)
    I was looking at the schematic for the BS2, and had a few questions.
    Does anything need to be attached to "ATN"?
    What needs to be connected to "RES"?
    Do both "VSS"'s need to be connected?
    Does ground connect to "VDD"?
    What connects to "VIN"?
    Can "SIN" and "SOUT" float? If not, what circut needs to be attached to it? A 10K pull-down or pull-up?
    Nothing needs to be attached to ATN once your program is downloaded, unless you need to reprogram the Stamp Module.· RES should be left alone.· It is internally pulled-up, as shown in the attached schematic.· Only one VSS needs to be connected.· Ground does not connect to VDD, that would certainly damage the unit if powered from VIN.· Speaking of VIN, that's where you run you 5.5V to 15V to power the BS2.· SIN and SOUT are already pulled up internally as shown on the schematic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 12/4/2005 10:17:49 PM GMT
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-12-03 05:48
    All correct, except: Vdd is NOT ground, that's Vss. Vdd is the +5 voltage.

If you're driving Vin with a 5.5 to 15 volt signal, you leave Vdd open, as that is the output of the on-module voltage regulator. You NEVER connect it to ground.

If you're driving Vdd to +5 with an external regulator, I believe you leave Vin open. Apparently this has no bad effects on the on-module voltage regulator.

You NEVER drive Vdd with anything over 5 volts, as that could cause damage. Driving Vin with less than 5.5 volts may lead to brown-outs on the BS2, but shouldn't permanently break anything.
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-12-03 17:25
    Borgel - You have hit upon an interesting concept... If you look at a BS2 OEM Version, you will see all the parts that make up a Stamp II... the two chips and the resonator are really what the stamp is... all the other components are just there to support programming the EEMPROM.· You can actually buy a "Stamp" from Parallax for less than $20...

The Pre-programmed PIC is $11.00 (http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=PBASIC2C/P)

The EEPROM is $5.00 (http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=602-00001)

The Resonator is $2.48 (http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=250-02060)

If your program was already loaded on the EEPROM, these are the only components you need!
  • BorgelBorgel Posts: 23
    edited 2005-12-04 01:48
    Wow! Looks like I hit on quite the wealth of information. smile.gif

Thanks for all the responses, but could someone clarify the two conflicting posts about Vdd? (Not to offend anyone, of course)

Borgel
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2005-12-04 02:15
    Well, I think that Chris had happy fingers -- so, do not connect VDD to GND (a.k.a. VSS.)·
    • VDD is the on-board regulator's Output (+5V.)·
    • VIN is the input to the on-board regulator (+6 to 12 V.)
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-04 22:17
    PJ is correct, hence the words following about damaging it...I will correct the message now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com