Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New USB chip — Parallax Forums

New USB chip

HomeSchoolDadHomeSchoolDad Posts: 32
edited 2005-12-10 10:02 in BASIC Stamp
Greetings all,

The kids and I were so excited when we saw the new chip because we want to use USB in our design, but we have been confused on how exactly it should be implemented.· Obviously this is a lot less complicated, we thought.· But then when I tried to get a sample schematic of how to interface it with our BS2pe in place of the serial port - well, we just felt stupid.· We went to the FTDI site for schematics but it is not clear which one to look at or to what exactly all of those other pins get connected.

I know this has been out all of a day and a half, but can anyone tell me what parts we would need to order and how to hook this thing up to get a working board that we can program and communicate with via USB with our BS2pe?

Feeling stupid,

······ Jeff Brower··

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-12-02 18:50
    My understanding is it has the same functionality as the BM version but incorporates the oscillator and EEPROM on the chip itself. For a while there, FTDI's chips were outclassed by the SI labratories version (availible at sparkfun) which had an onboard oscillator and EEPROM, now FTDI's new version it has caught up with SI's version in features. Since that is the only difference I can detect, all other app notes should apply.

<edit> actually SI's chip claims USBv2.0 (high speed)·capability whereas the FTDI is 3.0 Mb/sec, but seeing as how even an SX can't handle the speed of high speed USB, its not a utilizable feature </edit>

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 12/2/2005 6:53:42 PM GMT
  • HomeSchoolDadHomeSchoolDad Posts: 32
    edited 2005-12-03 03:51
    Thanks Paul. Great info, but I still don't get it because I don't know how the BM version worked. I now feel embarrassed.

In fact, let me admit that I can not find any app notes from Parallax that tell me how to build a circuit board with USB -- the only explanations I have seen are links to the FTDI web site and those seem to be non-Parallax specific and I don't fully understand them. I know that this is a new thing so I really don't expect the mature info that I have been spoiled enough to expect from Parallax, but I would sure love to see an actual schematic of how to use this chip from the good folks at Parallax themselves. Come on guys, I know one of you has drawn this out and built a board using this chip on a BS2 and have some good code that drives it. Can I beg you to share?

By the way Paul, I have always admired your 1 + 1 = 10 signature and I used it in Daddy School with my kids. They really thought it was cool too. They now ask people what number base when they get asked a math problem by folks that test my homeschool kids. Thanks for lots of smiles.

Jeff
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-12-03 05:04
    Jeff -

Take a look at the minimalist "Chi-Pi" USB-to-Serial Adapter that FTDI offers (link below). For my money, the documentation available should be ample for a DIY copy, possibly short of the actual PCB layout which might be sent to a PCB house for etching. I say "possibly" since I found some Orcad format documentation, but I'm unable to view it.

Although this is designed as a "dongle"(*), all of the principles, procedures, basic layout (schematic), and available information should be applicable to a non-"dongle" version as well. In essence, you just won't have a "plug" at one end of the "dongle", yet the other end will be proper USB tried and true. Here is that promised link: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/ChiPi.htm

(*) DEF dongle: An electronic device, usually in the form of an adapter, or I/O (conversion) device, which exists as an entity, entire unto itself. This electronic entity provides a service or function to another (usually host) device to which it is physically attached. Often, a dongle uses parasitic power from the host device to which it is connected. Some dongles have only one I/O connection (port), and others have two or more. Most dongles are also portable and are generally self-reliant.

I have attached a ZIP file which contains some schematics, Orcad (I think) layouts, and other information for the FTT232R. These came from the FTDI web site.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2005-12-03 16:38
    OK - I'm getting it.· That ChiPi link was helpful,·as was the zip you sent.·

I looked up the ZT213 chip in the schematic and it is listed as a 5V RS232 transceiver.· That appears to be the only odd-ball in the schematic.

Now I am wondering if·our BS2pe can be dropped in as a replacement for the ZT213E since it·does serial communication already -OR- do I need to hook up the serial·ports of the BS2 to the input of the ZT213E (or ZT213FLA) to make it talk USB?

Thanks for your help Bruce!

····· Jeff··
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-12-05 04:55
    Jeff et. al,

Parallax has the ChiPi in stock - I'll add it to the web site on Monday.

We'll also post the interface schematics, too. There's not much to this one compared to the 232BM. The 232R is much easier to implement.

Ken Gacey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2005-12-09 19:57
    Hi Ken,

I know you guys are burried so I have been patiently checking the site for the posting of the ChiPi and interface schematics. Have gotten busy or am I just not finding it on the site?

Thanks,

Jeff
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-10 00:57
    Jeff,

·· Try this link: http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/ftdi/ftdi_chips.asp

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-12-10 01:07
    Chris,

I am feeling stupid again.confused.gif· ·This is the page I·have been·looking at and it does not look any different to me than it did before Monday.· I found the links to FTDI that we were talking about in the posts above, but no purchase links of anything called "ChiPi" from Parallax with Parallax·schematics on how to use it with the·BS2.

Can you point me to where on the page I find that?

Sorry to be so dense.

··· Jeff
    ·
  • knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-12-10 10:02
    Jeff,

I assume you are trying to setup USB in a in-one situation?

If the price isn't too high, the following can be used with minimal effort.

http://www.linxtechnologies.com/index.php?section=products&category=interface_modules&subcategory=qs_series

Everything is onboard this "chip" (It's actually a small PCB, kinda like the BS2).

I have purchased about 4 of them, I havn't had a chance to use them, but they look really slick, and I have successfully used many products made by the same company. Mostly RF modules.

As far as I recall it's simply a matter of connecting a USB B port to the module, then connecting a BS family processor to the data in and out pins. You can also steal power from the USB port, assuming the whole project uses less than 1/2 Amp @ 5V (USB Spec, I think it's 1A @ 5V if using a powered USB hub.)

Knight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Gravity doesn't exist. The Earth sucks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Make a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
    Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-