Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CCD or CMOS camera and BasicStamp — Parallax Forums

CCD or CMOS camera and BasicStamp

blakeneyblakeney Posts: 1
edited 2005-12-03 17:39 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the BasicStamp world and was hoping somebody could answer a question for me.

I am working on a project which needs to take a digital image every 15 minutes and store that on board for later transmission over a modem.· The image doesn't need to be very high resolution (320x240x256 shades of gray would be more than enough).· The BasicStamp has everything I need the processor, real time clock, modem, etc.· I just haven't been able to locate any info on the CCD or CMOS camera.

Anybody know of any projects which have used these chips?

Thanks
Bernie Blakeney
·

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-12-02 13:29
    The BS2 doesn't really have a 'real-time clock' -- it's a more-or-less accurate resonator frequency.

And the BS2 has 2K of EEPROM for your program, and 26 bytes of RAM. As a controller, it's outstandingly easy to apply. As a digital image storage device, it would not work well. If it can 'stand to one side' of the data flow, it can easily act as a process controller, though.
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2005-12-02 23:17
    I was also thinking of attempting something like that, as I already have a small camera (this outputs analog video- that yellow jack), but I doubt I can use that. How long would it take to transmit an image of the resolution mentioned over a phone line with DTMF from the Stamp's DTMFOUT?
    Rafael
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2005-12-03 06:39
    320 x 240 = 76800 bytes

Using DTMF you have numbers 0 through 9

You could use numbers 0 through 7 to represent 3 bits at a time

(76,800 * 8) / 3 = 204,800 Tones to send

I dont know how fast you can send tones but even if you could send at a rate of say 10 per second one picture would take 5.68 hours to send.

Convert the image to 9 level of grey using DTMF 1 through 9 to represent levels to send in 2 hours

compress image variaous mehods perhaps 1 hour send time

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2005-12-03 17:39
    What if I used extended DTMF (0-15)?
    Probably halve the time, right?
    Rafael