Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Radio Transmitters / Receivers — Parallax Forums

Radio Transmitters / Receivers

Roger RayRoger Ray Posts: 22
edited 2005-12-12 23:54 in Robotics
A couple of months back one of the forum moderators hinted that within a month Parallax would be introducing a cheaper solution to the problem of sending radio messages to basic stamp robots.

My interest was to create a "Mars Rover"-type bot that was independent but could send data or receive commands from·a PC interface.

Has that product been released?

Roger Ray

Comments

• Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-12-02 14:20
    We are all looking for more "hobby priced" RF solutions! I understand that Parallax only sells top quality items, so it doesn't surprise me that they don't offer less expensive RF systems that may frustrate customers with poor communications quality (short range, interference, etc.) Luckily for those of us that are willing to deal with potentially poor performance (because it is just a hobby), other companies have answered the call! Check out the very inexpensive TWS-434 and RWS-434 UHF Transmitter and receiver modules. These units are available at Rentron.com, qkits.com, and SparkFun.com just to name a few. The Rentron site (a.k.a. Reynolds Electronics) has a lot of information including how to hook it up to a Basic Stamp.
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2005-12-07 23:25
    There's a BoeBot controlled by these units on the Projects page

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=21&m=89386
  • Roger RayRoger Ray Posts: 22
    edited 2005-12-12 23:54
    Ah.. Here was the original post by Ken Gracy.· Ken, is there anything new on solving the cost issue?

Hey guys,

Very soon we will solve the "cost issue" of our RF modules in a BIG way. I assure you that you won't complain about the cost of our RF devices in 30 days from now.

But for now, you're exactly right. They're way too expensive.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.