Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 2 to Max/MSP Jitter — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 2 to Max/MSP Jitter

EJEJ Posts: 2
edited 2005-12-01 05:28 in BASIC Stamp
I am building an interactive installation.
I have a PING))) Ultrasonic sensor connected to my BS2, and put the code that came with the sensor.
It works! I can see the numbers, but how can I bring those numbers from Basic Stamp Editor to other programs such as Max/MSP Jitter? (How can I make my computer communicate with Basic Stamp?)

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-12-01 05:18
    EJ -

The general answer to your question is - to send data from a Basic Stamp to some outside process, one usually uses an asynchronous serial data link. In other words, send it via the RS-232 protocol.

All Basic Stamps support the commands: SERIN (input method), and SEROUT (output method) to read or write that suggested serial data stream. There are certain limitations, as to transmission speed and the like, but that varies by the exact Basic Stamp platform you are using.

ALL Basic Stamps support at least the following transmission speeds: 300, 600, 1200, 2400 baud. Any of the BS-2 models will support 9600 baud and some WELL beyond that. The top speed for any Basic Stamp is 115.2 KBPS. If you use flow control, the top speed is limited to 19.2 KBPS.

This is NOT the ONLY method, but it is the one that is most commonly used. Synchronous serial data streams are also possible, if that becomes necessary or appropriate.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-01 05:28
    Remember, while the editor is open and you have the DEBUG Terminal open, you can get the data to other programs that access your COM Port.· You must close the DEBUG terminal first.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com