Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Christmas Display — Parallax Forums

Christmas Display

Eric REric R Posts: 225
edited 2005-12-15 04:02 in Robotics
3 BS2E stamps
48·solid state·outputs (35 used)
7086 bulbs

This project uses the BS2e #BS2E-IC,·Stamp Controller Interface board #27945 and power pak #750-00008·for each program listed below. Outputs are Opto 22 using a 24 port output board (Ebay is a great source for these boards and modules at a good price) Most any Opto board with the 50 pin header will work fine.·Parallax has great documentation on the opto boards here http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/indl/Opto22rack.pdf·along with output modules #27322

Wiring is a simple matter as Opto board pins 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15 all get a daisy chain of 110vac (L1) power. and·Opto board pins 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 become the·110vac (L1) control power for each outlet. The neutral is also·daisy chained to each outlet mounted on the enclosure. Remember to break the tab between the screws of the outlet so each outlet has its own power source on the L1 (hot side). I chose outlets and ext cords (30' for $1.79 ea. on sale) as in the past we have had people drive up into the yard taking out our·displays. At least the control box will be safe.

All house lights are icicle style with a string of clear and a string of blue running side by side.

The tree is constructed of a tree base (walmart) and 1 1/2 PVC for the mast The strings of lights are zip tied to a eye hook at the top of the PVC then run down to a metal hoop and back up to the eye screw 4 times per string. The hoop is 1/4" painted steel rod that was bent round·by a machine shop and welded together on the ends. There are a total of 15 light strings and the final bit 15 is the topper (walmart). The hoop is staked down using 1/8"·three foot rod bent in half that is placed over the hoop in 4 equal spots and driven·into the ground.

Triangle tree
This is composed of 15 four foot trees found at Kmart for $9·something each on sale. They are in a triangle formation with 5 in the front row, 4 in the second, 3 in the third and so on. As seen in the program they are numbered from back to front.

As you can see in the picture, my snow is well worn out from yesterdays setup. tongue.gif

I tried to make the program as easy to follow as possible. I am sure there are many ways to write it that are much more compact but this way makes for a good visual of what is happening with each light string.

Next year I hope to have it in sync with music and all 3 stamps taking to one another.

See the video here
http://home.mchsi.com/~siliconsurfer1/Parallax_Christmas.WMV

Post Edited (Eric R) : 11/30/2005 5:49:11 PM GMT

Comments

• DannyDanny Posts: 56
    edited 2005-11-30 06:55
    That is fantastic! Cant wait to see the code and pictures of the setup!
    Great job!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Never create anything you can't control"
    "The amount of intelligence on the planet is fixed... the population is growing"
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2005-11-30 12:17
    You should post your schematic, and some info about the power use, and how you hook each set of lights up. Its work, but theres almost no point to having a projects sub-forum if everyone only told people about their projects.
  • JCoonJCoon Posts: 4
    edited 2005-11-30 17:21
    Awsome Job.· I have a forward that shows a house similar to this one that has music along w/ it during the video.· But, can you describe more.... the enclosure of the BS2, schemtic of the wiring??· The price and time u put into it??· Thanks and great job again.
  • Eric REric R Posts: 225
    edited 2005-11-30 17:34
    JCoon said...
    Awsome Job.· I have a forward that shows a house similar to this one that has music along w/ it during the video.· But, can you describe more.... the enclosure of the BS2, schemtic of the wiring??· The price and time u put into it??· Thanks and great job again.

See the update above.

I have seen the video you are talking about and it is just plain neat tongue.gif

I have about $320 into lights and materials plus the controllers. I do not have a total price on each controller as the·opto boards and modules were purchased at different times from Ebay as they were available.

The big tree I built last year and it took about a week to do while eeking out a full time job. The house lights, triangle lights and controllers were built in a week. The toughest part with the 15 trees is getting them in place without the wind blowing them over...

Next year I would like to sync the stamps and then sync it to music.·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-30 17:43
    You might want to have a look at my December column in Nuts & Volts, it shows how to use the uMP3 player from Rogue Robotics. Syncing music is a programming process, tedious but not difficult. What we do is load up the audio file into Audacity and use the time-line to determine sync points. Granted, most of the stuff we've done to date is very small scale (syncing sound fx to a prop) but the process is the same.

You might want to look at the sequencer engine code I wrote and posted in the EFX forum -- it gives you a way of putting your light patterns into DATA tables and eliminates all the OUT = x, PAUSE y instructions. It's not designed to handle looping, but you could easily write a modified version that allowed you to loop sections of sequences stored in tables.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2005-11-30 17:59
    Thanks Jon

I have been keeping up with that thread and like what I see. That uMP3 player is on my list as is the Belkin TuneCast II http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_ID=166893·that will broadcast the music on FM radio. Break this apart and extend the antenna for better range.

Thanks for your sequencer engine code (from my thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=559230). I do have a copy for next year. I was already knee deep in this code when I got it.

I must say, you guys at Parallax are the best!
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2005-11-30 18:58
    Im curious as to how you power the control box. After I looked into a christmas light display, I found out that 4,500 standard mini christmas light bulbs will draw 15 ampere when constantly lit. You mention that you run almost 8,000 bulbs, do you use multiple control boxes for your setup? If not do you run more than a single extension cord from your house to your control box?

I am just curious as to how you overcome the typical 15ampere limit that most extension cords have.
    (or do you notice a melted path in the snow where your extension cord goes? LOL [noparse];)[/noparse] ) Or have you noticed that most extension cords have higher in-the-field limits than they say???
    edited 2005-11-30 19:44
    BPM said...
    Im curious as to how you power the control box. After I looked into a christmas light display, I found out that 4,500 standard mini christmas light bulbs will draw 15 ampere when constantly lit. You mention that you run almost 8,000 bulbs, do you use multiple control boxes for your setup? If not do you run more than a single extension cord from your house to your control box?

I am just curious as to how you overcome the typical 15ampere limit that most extension cords have.
    (or do you notice a melted path in the snow where your extension cord goes? LOL [noparse];)[/noparse] ) Or have you noticed that most extension cords have higher in-the-field limits than they say???

When I wired the house I provided multiple GFI breakers for the outside outlets. Each control box (total of 3) plugs directly into a outlet along the front of the house. A 30 foot drop cord is used from each output of the control box to each string of lights.

Keep in mind that while your amp draw formula will figure the worst case, in this application there is some control over draw by how many lights your turn on at once.

The house lights draw a max·reading of 3.2 amps during the program cycle
    The triangle tree draw a max reading of 4.6 amps during the program cycle
    The main tree lights draw a max reading of 6.8 amps during the program cycle

That is a total of 14.6 amps if all the lights were to cycle at their max draw at the same time and that is possible since they are not in sync. However this does not apply to this application·as the three boxes have their own breaker.

Post Edited (Eric R) : 11/30/2005 8:27:20 PM GMT
  • OrionOrion Posts: 236
    edited 2005-12-01 01:39
    Nice clean control box! I have several similar "opto boards" from a control demo, thought about putting them up on ebay. What did the one you have sell for?
    edited 2005-12-02 22:55
    Orion said...
    Nice clean control box! I have several similar "opto boards" from a control demo, thought about putting them up on ebay. What did the one you have sell for?
    Thanks!

I don't think I gave more than $15 - $20 each. I had plenty of time and watched a few auctions go by over the last couple years. There are still some good bargins on ebay if you are patient and keep looking.
  • RexRex Posts: 1
    edited 2005-12-09 05:19
    Here's a link to a video that has Christmas lights synched with music.
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/xmaslights.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Yea, I know what your thinking.....
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-12-09 06:41
    Actually that same video was posted to the EFX forums a few weeks back...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=558948

As a side note, according to the news, the person who had that display was forced to take it down due to traffic problems related to the display.

http://www.kcra.com/holidays/5493895/detail.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Patrick DPatrick D Posts: 62
    edited 2005-12-14 22:37
    very nice - you convinced me...· think I'll make my own now instead of buying a commercial unit.· (thanks)

any chance of you posting a schematic?· Even if it's hand drawn?· _ just trying to get a feel for how everything is connected.

Also -
    If I have only 1 outdoor GFI·outlet at my disposal, is that going to be a limiting factor?· How can I determine maximum load (lights, etc)
    edited 2005-12-15 04:02
    Patrick D said...
    very nice - you convinced me...· think I'll make my own now instead of buying a commercial unit.· (thanks)

any chance of you posting a schematic?· Even if it's hand drawn?· _ just trying to get a feel for how everything is connected.

Also -
    If I have only 1 outdoor GFI·outlet at my disposal, is that going to be a limiting factor?· How can I determine maximum load (lights, etc)
    Here is a quick drawing of how mine is wired. I have included the 8 position Opto·board with·Parallax part numbers for the major items. You can use a Opto board like mine if you wish. The concept is the same for the other 8 bits. I did not include the fuse on the 110vac "hot" wire but it is recommended.

As far as power is concerned, you would be best to get a string of lights identical to what you plan to use and take an amp reading. If you do not have this equipment·then take the string of lights to a local electrical contractor. I wouldn't imagine he would charge much if anything to test it as it only takes a couple of seconds. Multiply that reading times the number of strings for your total. I wouldn't exceed 80% of the breakers rating that powers your GFI outlet.·The rating is·always marked on the fuse / breaker in your panel. As you program your lights you control how many are on at any given time so you have some control over your amp draw.
    1024 x 585 - 70K