Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID Access on an RS-485 Network — Parallax Forums

RFID Access on an RS-485 Network

aridaiosaridaios Posts: 57
edited 2005-11-30 20:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hello friends,

I am searching for a post about an access control project. I think it was in a conference center or something like that.
Could anyone help me?
I am planing my access control project with RFID tags, one or more Basic Stamps and a PC with a printer.

Here is a little explanation of my project,
I have four·doors. I want to control the access or persons to·each one of them as I prefer. I am thinking of installing
a RFID reader with a Basic stamp near each door. All stamps will comunicate with the PC through a RS485 network.
The relations between doors and persons are saved and can be altered in a PC database.
Has anybody another suggestion to make or any help to give?

Michael

Post Edited By Moderator (Jon Williams (Parallax)) : 11/29/2005 3:32:57 PM GMT

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-29 15:31
    Michael,

It sounds like you have your project defined pretty well, time to knuckle-down and start writing code. Of course, you can get RFID reader demos from us, then it's simply a matter of sending a serial message to the PC requesting a check of the ID that was presented -- and that shouldn't be too complicated. You might want to get Jan Axelson's book "Serial Port Complete" as it goes into details on RS-485 networking. Her web site is: www.lvr.com.

PS: Don't forget to add a subject line to your new threads (I fixed this one).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • aridaiosaridaios Posts: 57
    edited 2005-11-29 19:52
    Thank you John,

Is it possible to achieve the same result by reducing the number of stamps to one (lower cost)?. I mean to connect somehow in a network one basic stamp with more than one RFID readers?

If not, I suppose BS1 is suitable for the job. Am I right?
    edited 2005-11-29 19:54
    I think the BS1 would not work for you -- but the SX would, and you can program it in SX/B which is very much like PBASIC. The SX28 is about $5.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2005-11-30 19:06
    Why do you think BS1 will not work?
    I am asking this because I am not familiar with SX/B.

Michael
    edited 2005-11-30 20:00
    Because there's not enough variable space in the BS1 to store the RFID string to transmit to the host (and have enough var space left to do the other work required). SX/B is a very PBASIC-like language for the SX micro.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2005-11-30 20:31
    Are there any examples of circuits and code for SX/B that could help me for this project?

What items I must order from parallax and any other supplier in order to start experimenting·? Lets say I would have a·4 doors-4 persons project.

Another question. I could use in this project BS2. Am I right?
    edited 2005-11-30 20:37
    Yes, you could use a BS2. Why don't you start there? Order a BS2, and RFID reader and a few tags. If you can get one communicating with the PC it's not a big step to get several units.

You will find an example of RFID code for all of our controllers on the RFID reader page.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams