Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
More questions about measuring wheel speed. — Parallax Forums

More questions about measuring wheel speed.

winchmanwinchman Posts: 22
edited 2005-11-29 12:45 in BASIC Stamp
I've got the BoE kit, the two Microcontroller Application Cookbooks, the Melexis 90217 Hall-effect sensor, and some bias magnets. Here's the earlier thread describing what I want to do:
http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&m=96533

Looking at page 94 of the first cookbook, it describes a "bipolar Hall-effect switch". It seems like this would be a better choice for my project, since it would allow measuring how long the switch is on instead of measuring time between pulses. Would it work better? Would it be easier to write a program for that?

I'm completely new to this, and I know microprocessors can do all sorts of tasks. I think I've identified the "tasks" that I need done to make my application work. It's just an assortment of counting, storing values, computing differences between values, and comparing the results to some "setpoints". Do I have to learn to write code from scratch, or is there a handbook somewhere with a list of tasks with the corresponding code?

To make it easier, I've already designed an expensive "desktop winch simulator", which will interface with the uP in exactly the same way the real winch would.

Maybe I could trade my ability to make mechanical parts for someone's programming skills?? I'll work for code.

Roger

Post Edited (winchman) : 11/29/2005 4:04:30 PM GMT