Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
controlling a stamp — Parallax Forums

controlling a stamp

crackticus potscrackticus pots Posts: 34
edited 2005-11-30 15:58 in BASIC Stamp
Hay does anybody know how to control a basic stamp with Q-basic and a serial port. I am not very knowledgeable in the field of programming.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
there are a hundred types of people in the world,

but I dont have time to name them all.

Comments

• MMISCOOLMMISCOOL Posts: 36
    edited 2005-11-28 22:43
    I don't know wether the debug termanel and a termanel program like hypertermanel are the same but if there are here is a termanel program i just googled and it is writon in qbasic. the link is to the text file on the original web site.

www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/quantum/188/basterm.txt smilewinkgrin.gif
  • crackticus potscrackticus pots Posts: 34
    edited 2005-11-28 23:02
    The link did not work. all i saw was the fortunecity logo

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• MMISCOOLMMISCOOL Posts: 36
    edited 2005-11-28 23:05
    they must have it set up so that you can not link material like that. the link below brings you to the page i found it on. scroal down untill you get to othere utilitys. it shood be the first one

www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/quantum/188/page4.htm
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-11-28 23:09
    Delete everything after 188 and try again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2005-11-28 23:48
    I use a lot of Qbasic. You have complete comtrol of serial ports provided you're not using a USB. Are you intending to program the Stamp or just read/write data?
    Rafael
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-11-29 15:12
    flyingfishfinger said...(trimmed)
    I use a lot of Qbasic. You have complete comtrol of serial ports provided you're not using a USB. Are you intending to program the Stamp or just read/write data?
    Actually, you have complete control up to 9600 bps.· Even in the commercial version of the software, which I own (QuickBASIC 4.5) you cannot go over 9600 bps.· Other than that, I actually wrote all my original business database software using QB4.5 and later added a BBS front-end so I could access it remotely.· That later spawned an entire BBS module which was online during the night while I was closed.· So in that aspect I am intimately knowledged in using that software with a modem/serial port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-11-29 15:54
    mmiscool:

I tried the new link then clicked on the terminal program but still I got the same old blank page. I checked my browser settings but they looked fine. usualy when you click on one of those links it automaticly starts a download.·confused.gif
    Flyingfishflinger and Chris savage:
    My intentions with Q-basic are to make a piece of software·that provides control to my basic stamp powered 2 way X-10 (earlier thread) controller.
    Any way what I need is some·source code to figure out how to drive the serial ports on a·Compaq 2200 with Q-basic running in dos
    ·
    ·
    By the way does any body know how to turn .bas in to .EXE (pakage the software)
    ·
    Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2005-11-29 16:04
    crackticus pots said...(trimmed)
    Flyingfishflinger and Chris savage:
    My intentions with Q-basic are to make a piece of software·that provides control to my basic stamp powered 2 way X-10 (earlier thread) controller.
    Any way what I need is some·source code to figure out how to drive the serial ports on a·Compaq 2200 with Q-basic running in dos·
    By the way does any body know how to turn .bas in to .EXE (pakage the software)
    QBASIC can do that.· At up to 9600 bps, as stated.· There's nothing special about your computer other than knowing which COM Port goes to which hardware port on the back.· As memory serves, opening the COM Port was something like

OPEN "COMn:9600, N, 8, 1" FOR RANDOM AS #1 (Where n is your COM Port number)

I don't think it could handle a COM Port number over 4, which are now common on some Windows 98 machines.

As for compiling to an EXE, that requires the compiler version (Called, QuickBASIC) which I purchased many years ago.· You would have to find a copy of that and use it.· It will compile almost all QBASIC programs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-11-29 21:03
    chris savage:
    thanks. but·I could not find the compilershakehead.gif
    and i did not get this part of the serial command: (,N,8,1)confused.gif·? is that what you are transmitting?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (crackticus pots) : 11/30/2005 3:45:03 PM GMT
  • FlyingFishFingerFlyingFishFinger Posts: 461
    edited 2005-11-29 23:11
    I seem to have the compiler right in my programming environment (under "Run" in the Menu). If you like I can send you the program. It's QB 4.5.
    Rafael
    edited 2005-11-30 15:55
    Flyingfishfinger:
    The software·I have is V1.1 and it came with my very old version of Ms·DOS!
    And I did not see the compile button any where in the menus.

cracticus pots.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (crackticus pots) : 11/30/2005 4:00:04 PM GMT
    edited 2005-11-30 15:58
    That software is protected by copyright law, and therefore if Rafael gives you a copy, it should be the original copy of QB4.5.· If not this thread doesn't belong here since that would be copyright infringement.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com