Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LED display. has any one made any code that alows someone to display A-Z, 0-9 — Parallax Forums

LED display. has any one made any code that alows someone to display A-Z, 0-9

MMISCOOLMMISCOOL Posts: 36
edited 2005-11-29 13:03 in BASIC Stamp
I was wondering wether any one has made a program that alows some one like me to debug in a character into a byte variable and diaply it on an led display. LED. not LCD.
thank you smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
if any one has pleas post it with any diagrams and parts you may have used

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-11-28 22:31
    Ok first you need to specify if you are using a 7 segment LED (looks like 8.), an alphanumeric (a * inside a box) or a matrix. If its the first, you cannot display all letters, K,M,Q,R,S,T,V,W,X and Z cannot be displayed in an easily discernable shape.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • MMISCOOLMMISCOOL Posts: 36
    edited 2005-11-28 22:36
    I am talking about an led display similat to the one shown below
    ANC-392.jpg
    they sell this one thrue www.allelectronics.com and becouse it is cheep i am thinking of geting it.
    edited 2005-11-29 00:34
    I think all the leters of the alfabit can be displayed on the led display above. has any one done something like this?
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2005-11-29 00:55
    Yes.
    It will take 15 I/O pins to directly control all of the LED display segments on that display. That doesn't leave much for anything else unless you multiplex the I/O or get one of the bigger stamps.
    edited 2005-11-29 01:00
    That one only takes 14 I/O pins. the comon one I just have to conect to ground or -. I am just wondering wether any one has done anything like this so that mabe i can do something very similar instead of having code for each individual leter

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "playing with it is the begining to understanding it"
    confuciouse say "man who cach bigest fish eat well"
    smbi.tripod.com

coolsoftware4free.tripod.com
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2005-11-29 01:09
    MMISCOOL said...
    That one only takes 14 I/O pins. the comon one I just have to conect to ground or -. I am just wondering wether any one has done anything like this so that mabe i can do something very similar instead of having code for each individual leter

But coding is so much fun!

You can't learn to program better without programming yourself.

Just like:

You can't learn to spell without reading and using a dictionary. For instance, I will make the effort to go to dictionary.com to look up words that I can't spell. It works great. And it makes those that read things you type happy, and more likely to help you.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-11-29 03:33
    Have an early christmas, attached is a pdf·I created for your display. I cannot be sure the codes are 100% correct, but there shouldn't be many errors, let me know if there are so I can correct them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 11/29/2005 3:36:14 AM GMT
    edited 2005-11-29 13:03
    THANK YOU. i WILL USE THAT INFO.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "playing with it is the begining to understanding it"
    confuciouse say "man who cach bigest fish eat well"
    smbi.tripod.com

coolsoftware4free.tripod.com