Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem programming BS2 — Parallax Forums

Problem programming BS2

bot-manbot-man Posts: 22
edited 2005-11-29 03:32 in BASIC Stamp
I recently got an older BS2 and cannot program it. It's existing program (which I don't have source to) is outputting lots of prompts via the serout pin and I wonder it that is interferring with my attempts to program it?
I can see this output if I run hyperterminal using the same 9-pin serial cable I try to program with. Hyperterminal is set to 9600,8,N,1 with no handshake.

While not looking at this serial output, I close hyperterminal and start up the stamp editor, load my program (which was programmed and tested on another BS2).

I am using the stamp editor under windows, a 9-pin cable (straight through wiring). The carrier board (not a Parallax product, but looks like an OEM/industrial equivalent) has pins 6 and 7 tied together. It doesn't have the 0.1uF capacitors on the ATN pin. I don't recall when these capacitors wee added or why they are needed. COuld this be my problem?

Thanks!
Bot-man·

Comments

• bot-manbot-man Posts: 22
    edited 2005-11-28 21:13
    I should add that pins 6 and 7 on the serial DB-9 are tied together (not on the BS2). Also the stamp editor goes through the actions of programming, a box pops up to show status, and then another error box pops up saying no stamp was found.

Thanks!
    Bot-man
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-11-28 21:27
    Hmm. If the BS2 RUNS on Hyperterminal, and the board DOESN'T have the capacitors, then the reset line (pin 4 of the DB-9 connector, signal DTR) is NOT connected from the PC to the BS2.

This signal is required to reset the BS2, in order for it to accept programming. And Hyperterminal holds the BS2 in RESET when it controls this signal -- unless somebody has disconnected it, as it looks like they have.

You'll have to either use another board to program the BS2, or connect the DTR signal to the ATN pin of the BS2 module.
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-11-28 21:30
    In the tool bar, click on the little white square that looks like an ID card.· See what the following screen tells you.

Is pin 5 of the female DB9 that connects to the Stamp grounded?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
    edited 2005-11-28 21:49
    I believe I tried the ID function and it said echo=yes, loopback=no, and it did not identify any basic stamp.

Serial pin 5 is connected to the BS2 ground. Also, I believe that serial pin 4 was connected to the ATN·pin on the BS2. It looked correct when I referred to the BS2 carrier board schematic. I will double check it this evening.

The reason I was asking about the 0.1uF capacitors on the ATN pin is that this appeared to be one difference from the 'official' carrier board.

Thanks!

Bot-man
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2005-11-28 22:03
    There should be a .1 between the DB9 pin and the ATN pin and a .1 bypass on the ATN side of the other .1.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Do you have a Stamp Tester yet?
    http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html

·
    edited 2005-11-29 03:32
    Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like the problem was a bad connection in pin 4 of the serial cable.

Plugging the carrier board directly into the PC allows the stamp editor to correctly ID and program the BS2. Guess I was lucky the PC and carrier could fit together like that!

Thanks!
    Bot-man