Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anyone with schematics and code for using the adc0838 8 channel with the stamp? — Parallax Forums

Anyone with schematics and code for using the adc0838 8 channel with the stamp?

hybridhybrid Posts: 16
edited 2005-12-02 00:40 in BASIC Stamp
Hey parallax group. I am using the 8 channel mux adc0838, but do not know what to do with all the pins. What are the use of the v+, comm, agnd, dgnd, and vref used for? I just want to use singled ended mode and have several 5v sensor I would like to connect to different channels.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-11-27 00:00
    Hello,

·· The schematics should be almost identical to the ADC0831, with the exception of the extra channels.· Generally speaking the datasheet has example connection diagrams, although I haven't checked this one in particular.· In fact, if memory serves, I think the ADC0831/0834/0838 all use the same datasheet.· Parallax has several examples of using the ADC0831 and ADC0834 which should provide you with an adequate example.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • hybridhybrid Posts: 16
    edited 2005-11-27 00:36
    Yes,l its true that all three are all part of the same data sheet, but i am having some minor difficulties. There is an extra pin called com and two gnd pins agnd and dgnd. There is also a v+ pin. I found examples of the adc0832, but not the 34 or 38.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-11-27 02:05
    For your purposes you can just tie the grounds together.· Remember to stay within the 5V input limit of the ADC.· As for the other connections, please see the following:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/sic/ExpRenewNRG1_0.pdf

and

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/sic/ExpRenewNRGErrata.pdf

I hope this helps you...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • hybridhybrid Posts: 16
    edited 2005-12-01 22:49
    The two documents are only references for adc0834. The adc 0838 has the following extra pins which i do not know what to do with: com, se, v+, sars. If anyone has any experience with this adc please let me know.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2005-12-02 00:40
    SARS -- SAR Status, it's an output
    SE -- Select Enable, it's an input
    All this & more on the attached Data Sheet (it's labelled ADC0831etal.pdf -- and you'll find that the 0838 is included in detail.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When you get 1st Place in the "Darwin Awards", you're a Winner & a Loser.