Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using the BS1-USB — Parallax Forums

Using the BS1-USB

BorgelBorgel Posts: 23
edited 2005-11-26 20:04 in BASIC Stamp
I was wondering, is the BS1-USB is designed to be used only while plugged into the USB port? Does it get its power from the port, or from an external source (ie. battery)?

In either case, does it have an internal voltage regulator, or is it running from the USB port on 5 volts and assuming it is allready regulated.

If it does only run from the USB port, would it be possible to build a battery pack for it with its own voltage regulator (5 volts) and hack this battery-regulated power into a USB plug to power the BS1? (Can the BS1-USB be powered by a battery regulated to 5v through a USB plug?)

It would be interesting to build it into a small robot that you could carry around and pop into your laptop like a memory stick to do random programming. This would be a really fun way to kill time at school. [noparse]:D[/noparse] Altoids Tin Bot!

Borgel

Post Edited (Borgel) : 11/26/2005 6:33:17 AM GMT

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-11-26 06:33
    Hi Borgel:

Yes, it is designed to be used while connected to your USB port. It obtains power from the USB port. It has a small regulator on board.

I assume you could connect the USB port to a power supply and run it remotely.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • BorgelBorgel Posts: 23
    edited 2005-11-26 07:33
    Thanks for the quick reply!

So if it does have its own regulator, whats the voltage range that it will accept as input, and where would you attach this voltage source?

Borgel
  • Brian GrimmBrian Grimm Posts: 7
    edited 2005-11-26 20:04
    Borgel,

I've seen a few devices that might work for you.· They seem to be intended for charging PDAs and such that are normally charged by a USB port connection.· One is http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=131+0700&dept=lch2&search=1po06&child=1po06.· It plugs into a wall outlet, and has a USB A connector, just like your computer.· There are a number of different models out there.

HTH,

Brian