Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
power supply noise filtering — Parallax Forums

power supply noise filtering

EthanEthan Posts: 1
edited 2005-12-06 00:07 in BASIC Stamp
·i want to use my basic stamp in my car and use the car's batery as my power source, i called parallax tec and they said i would definately need to do something about noise, they were very vague, does anyone know of a good source of information that could help me? or has anyone gone through this with their project? any help would be great, thanks

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-11-22 23:51
    Here's a +5V power circuit for automotive use www.seetron.com/an_vpwr1.htm
  • N8YXN8YX Posts: 18
    edited 2005-11-23 12:36
    The only quibble I have with that circuit is their choice of power connections. A car's cigarette lighter
    socket is a questionable thing at best. You may consider running a fused power lead from the "AUX" connection
    in your car's fuse box to the circuit. Better still, go directly to the battery - don't forget to insert an on-off
    switch in series with the lead - along with an indicator light - or you may end up with a dead battery
    should you forget to turn your project "off" and leave it running for a long period of time.

Post Edited (N8YX) : 11/23/2005 12:41:17 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-11-23 15:17
    Ethan said...
    ·i want to use my basic stamp in my car and use the car's batery as my power source, i called parallax tec and they said i would definately need to do something about noise, they were very vague, does anyone know of a good source of information that could help me? or has anyone gone through this with their project? any help would be great, thanks
    Ethan,

·· If Tech Support seemed vague, it's probably because we didn't provide an exact answer to your power supply filtering questions.· This would be nearly impossible to do, since the noise in a given system can vary or be non-existent altogether.· We have no way of knowing.· We can simply point out possibilities which you will then have to research.

·· I see Forrest provided you with a link to the one published on the Scott Edwards site, and that's a nice circuit.· But it also may be overkill.· At one time that circuit was probably necessary in some automobiles, but more modern cars have cleaner electrical systems, in part due to improvements in technology, but also in part due to the increasing number of controllers now present in automobiles, for such things as ABS brakes, Air Bags, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Traction Control, etc.

·· So you can see that there are a lot of variables involved, including when the car was made.· Your question actually come after I was charged with testing the stability of the electrical system in a current car, a task I will be working on next week.· In this test case I will be running a BS2, DS1620·and a DS1302 with no power supply filtering, from the cigarette lighter socket in my car.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • japerjaper Posts: 105
    edited 2005-12-05 21:21
    hello Forrest
    Thanks for the Link
    Just what i was looking for.

japer
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-12-05 23:04
    Ethan,

Here is voltage regulator filter design that I have used in a "noisy" electrical environment
    with great success. It's similar to the one that Forrest provided a link to, but this version
    provides additional filtering on the output of the voltage regulator.

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39280

Description:
    The "first" diode from Vsupply in conjunction with the 1000uF cap creates a typical Diode-Capacitor
    buffer. The "third" diode (Output of the regulator) forms a second Diode-Capacitor buffer with the
    10uF. The "second" diode (Regulator Ground) is a bias diode to the "third" diode. The 100uF simply
    provides more stability between the main regulator output and ground.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-12-05 23:53
    Beau,
    Won't that diode on Vout drop the voltage down to 4.3V?
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-12-06 00:07
    Actually no, because he cleverly placed a diode on the ground line of the regulator meaning it will be 1 diode drop above true ground, do the math and you'll see they offset each other. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10