Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
can it be done, controling and cycling through multiple strobe lights, — Parallax Forums

can it be done, controling and cycling through multiple strobe lights,

imtippmannimtippmann Posts: 1
edited 2005-12-14 17:10 in BASIC Stamp
im pretty new to a lot of the actual wiring of this kind of stuff, so please bare with me.· i would like to cycle through about 6 strobe tubes each doing a "flash flash flash" then moving to the next one. i have tried just using 12v store bought strobes mounted in the apropriate places and controling the power to them with a BS2, but the result is that i get 2 flashes on this one, then·4 on the nest on, then i get 3.· its more or less random, and its driving me nutts, plus it would be more fun to build it myself.· any ideas or websites with ideas would help a LOT.· thanks to anyone that can help me.

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-11-22 01:48
    You will have to control the trigger voltage to get the strobes to fire when you want.
    Normally it is done with a neon bulb and a trigger transformer.
    BE CAREFUL ! A strobe use hundreds of volts, and thousands of volts to trigger.
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module" Now available from Parallax for only·$49.95
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

Those that would give up freedom for security will have neither.
    ·
  • Eric REric R Posts: 225
    edited 2005-12-14 04:32
    Anyone have an update on this thread?

Found it with the search function and am thinking about the same thing. In my case it looks like after the neon bulb and before the SCR I could place either a small SSR or a MOC. Anyone else done this?
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2005-12-14 16:33
    You could use a 4017 decade counter to cycle or step from strobe tube to strobe tube circuit.

Tim
  • SteelSteel Posts: 313
    edited 2005-12-14 17:10
    also, those storebought strobes have the variable resistor to control the 'speed' of the flash. If you are just using the BS2 to trigger the on/off, you will need to make sure that the variable speeds are identical to make sure they flash the same amount of times...