Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is this possible with the Bs2? — Parallax Forums

Is this possible with the Bs2?

Robert@HCCRobert@HCC Posts: 80
edited 2005-11-22 00:44 in BASIC Stamp
I have a mini-satellite airborne, with a Bs2 and various sensors transmitting data via RF to a ground station PC. However, we will be launching our satellite in remote locations without power, and I dont want to lug around ( much less purchase) 12v batteries and/or inverters as I have seen others do in such situations. So it would be wonderful if the PC ( as the ground station data collection and satellite interface) could be removed from the equation ....

So I was looking at Alex Hunts project (GPS Rocket Locater) and had this thought: idea.gif

Bs2 in the airborne satellite collecting and transmitting data via RF to a ground unit consisting of a recieving RF module, a second bs2, some EEPROM and a LCD mounted perhaps in a project box and powered by a 9v battery. Or even have all the ground station components mounted and running from a BOE in the project box( appmod header could be used for a parallax LCD?). Print the data collected from the airborne satellite to the LCD, log the data to the EEPROM for later collection via a db9 connector and a computer when power is available for a PC at another location, and possibly using stampdaq to log the data on the PC.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is doable, not really looking for solutions atm - but dont want to propose a impossible idea to the Profs in charge hehe
if you do respond, can you also please mention( in your opinioin) what level of complexity this project sounds like? ( the ground unit portion) ie, easy, moderate, hard , impossible...

Thanks and alohas for your responses!
Robert

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-11-22 00:25
    What's the length of time you need to log for?

You don't want to "brown out" your battery with too much draw.

Start adding up the power specs on all your devices!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • Robert@HCCRobert@HCC Posts: 80
    edited 2005-11-22 00:44
    lol yeah - I am working on the power specs - the only thing that will be powered on the ground is the LCD, 2nd Bs2 and the RF module. All the satellite components will have own power source. I ( think) that I can use more than 9v on the ground, just dont want to lug around a 12v car battery and inverterto power a PC, as the teams at the last CanSat competition did.
    For the log time - actual flight time is about 10-15 minutes, probably be logging data for perhaps 5-8 minutes out of that.

Post Edited (Robert@HCC) : 11/22/2005 12:54:24 AM GMT