Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PSP For Control? — Parallax Forums

PSP For Control?

Jrdrag3991Jrdrag3991 Posts: 10
edited 2007-01-15 11:14 in General Discussion
I'm fairly new to the robotics scene, so bare with me. I've been doing some research and found out, a wireless PS2 controller can be used to control a bot with a·Mini Bot Board and Basic Stamp. Would there be a way to use a PSP to do that? I've been able to access wireless internet, so I wouldn't see why it couldn't send a signal.idea.gif Is there a way to do it?It'd be pretty cool to have a wireles camera attached and see where your going on the PSP's screen!
Thanks!scool.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
'04 Spitzer 4-Link

Blossom Racing Rhino
Best [url=mailto:ET-7.79@82mph]ET-7.79@82mph[/url]

Comments

• knightofoldcodeknightofoldcode Posts: 233
    edited 2005-11-21 09:40
    Wow, that would be really slick if you could get it to work with a camera... Right now my HumVee is using just a plain security camera monitor for video, and the remote control that came with it. [noparse]:([/noparse] I have intentions of switching that over to a PlayStation contoller, so I can add more stuff.... I've already got a airsoft gun working on my humvee. [noparse];)[/noparse]

I unfortunatly can't be of any help, as far as I know there's no feasible way to do this. [noparse]:([/noparse]

Knight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Gravity doesn't exist. The Earth sucks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    Make a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night.
    Light the man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Jrdrag3991Jrdrag3991 Posts: 10
    edited 2005-11-21 13:03
    I hope there is a way to do it! But if there is a way I don't want to be hacking into this thing, too risky for how much it costed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    '04 Spitzer 4-Link

Blossom Racing Rhino
    edited 2005-11-22 09:11
    It adds some difficulty with the media being proprietary... (UMD).

*IF* it wasn't, there is a possibility to get a serial port out of the PSP. This could then be put into a 2.5mm female stereo jack, then that could connect to a "black box", for transmitting via a RF module, hell if you were good enough you could make the "antena" connection the male of the jack, and have the circuitry all there..... But we still havn't gotten video INTO the PSP. I have no clue how or where to go with that. The reason I say that you'd have to have a UMD made would be for the software for the PSP to run.... And at this point it's just a controller, no video, so it'd be better just to make a PlayStation controller. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Much cheaper.

Although.... it does have a flash disk that you can upload stuff to via the USB, so you might be able to run a program off of the flash... My lil brother has one, but I havn't screwed with it. The UMD is what turned me off. If they used standard "little" CD's like the ones that hte gamecube uses, I'd have bought myself one.

Maybe if Sony releases a camera like Nintendo did the for the older gameboy's? That might make it easier.

Knight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    edited 2005-11-22 13:10
    knightofoldcode said...
    Although.... it does have a flash disk that you can upload stuff to via the USB, so you might be able to run a program off of the flash... My lil brother has one, but I havn't screwed with it. The UMD is what turned me off. If they used standard "little" CD's like the ones that hte gamecube uses, I'd have bought myself one.
    That's what I was thinking. There's a section for games that you have saved on the Memory card, so it may work. There is·a USB port on the top (little USB, like what's used on Creative Zen Micro's) of the PSP. I think it's 2.0? Or, with the·help of·a wireless router, have some kind of website where the PC would tell the bot what to do and you send the commands to the PC via PSP.yeah.gif It's too early to be thinking before schoolfreaked.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    '04 Spitzer 4-Link

Blossom Racing Rhino
  • DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
    edited 2005-11-22 16:14
    There is a way to downgrade the firmare so you can run your own programs. Look into that.
    edited 2005-11-22 23:31
    Download or downgrade? Anyone have an idea of where I could find that? It'd be really cool!!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    '04 Spitzer 4-Link

Blossom Racing Rhino
    edited 2005-11-24 00:32
    But if you were able to get the PSP to control the robot, you're still not talking about the video issue, and without that the PSP is just a glorified PlayStation controller, but if you screw something up with the PSP it's $250 down the drain, but with a PlayStation controller it's only $30. So, I still don't see the advantage, unless you can get video, which I can't see how that could happen. My little brother talked to me about this and he says that the PSP can do images, but still you're looking at maybe one image per second?... "Normal" video is around 30 images per second, so it certainly wouldn't be fluid, more like that of a webcam on a dial up connection.

Knight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-=-
  • DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
    edited 2005-11-24 02:04
    Ohk. Here's what you need/probably want to do: Goto: http://www.psp-hacks.com/category/10 and download the psp firmware downgrader. Then go and play around in psp-hacks and the psp-hacks forum looking for a way to get the psp to talk to the basic stamp and then you need to look into the WMP for the PSP in psp-hacks on how to display video
    edited 2005-11-25 14:31
    Thank-you! Funny thing is, my cousin showed me a site close to that yesterday!
    Knightofoldcode said...

...but if you screw something up with the PSP it's $250 down the drain, but with a PlayStation controller it's only $30.
    Yeah, I think that's a better idea. Even though I have the Best Buy insurance, they can be a PITA there and not do it. That was just one of my random idea'ssmilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    '04 Spitzer 4-Link

Blossom Racing Rhino

Post Edited (Jrdrag3991) : 11/25/2005 2:43:04 PM GMT
  • BorgelBorgel Posts: 23
    edited 2005-11-26 06:30
    It may be possible in some sense. Yes, you can downgrade the PSP to run homebrew applications. Infact, someone recently made one that reads a GPS signal from a PIC (microcontroller) and displays the persons possition on a map!

To do what you want, the easyist way might be to make a webpage that you can access from your PSP on your local network. On the webpage would be some HTML controlls. The PC hosting the webpage would read the controlls and then wirelessly controll a BASIC Stamp using some other code behind the scenes. Video is much more challenging, because there is no easy way to make the PSP stream it. You may be able to place an image on the aforementioned webpage and have it display fromes from the robot. If this was the case, you could make the page refresh every 5 or so seconds with a new image from the camera, giving almost video.

Borgel
    edited 2007-01-15 11:14
    Borgel said...
    It may be possible in some sense. Yes, you can downgrade the PSP to run homebrew applications. Infact, someone recently made one that reads a GPS signal from a PIC (microcontroller) and displays the persons possition on a map!

To do what you want, the easyist way might be to make a webpage that you can access from your PSP on your local network. On the webpage would be some HTML controlls. The PC hosting the webpage would read the controlls and then wirelessly controll a BASIC Stamp using some other code behind the scenes. Video is much more challenging, because there is no easy way to make the PSP stream it. You may be able to place an image on the aforementioned webpage and have it display fromes from the robot. If this was the case, you could make the page refresh every 5 or so seconds with a new image from the camera, giving almost video.

Borgel

I know I am bringing up a REALLY DEAD post, but I recently searched for PSP on Parallax.

First, to reply to the message above, it still would only be at most 1 frame per second, that would be extremly choppy.

Now the reason I researched for this thread. Sony has released a while back a thing called, "Location Free". It takes a input from any cideo source, DVD Player, PVR, Cable Box, etc, and compresses and streams the video to other computers, laptops, and, in this case, our PSP. So now we can get video, and with the Location Free device, you can send IR commands to the device, DVD, PVR, etc. So we could also send our data to the robot/RC car.

This is all theoretical at the moment, I just purchased myself a PSP for a different reason (work...or we'll call it that. Server System Analysys) and it got me to thinking, with Location Free it can be a really slick lil robot control. Downside is that if you want to take the whole thing out of your house, you'd have to bring along your LocationFree, PSP, Robot/RC Car, and RF to Composite video adaptor for the camera. So it's not very portable outside your house. If you wanted to invest the time, you could put the LocationFree device running inside your vehicle and then you'd only have to bring along your vehicle....

Anyways... with Location Free, this can now be done. [noparse]:)[/noparse] WITHOUT MODIFING THE PSP OR LOCATION FREE IN ANY WAY! yeah.gif

Plus you can watch your TV anywhere in the world with your PSP so long as you have wifi access and a internet connection at home! (The original purpose of the Location Free)

I do own a PSP, and I will purchase a Location Free Device soon, and update to let everyone know of my success.

Knight.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -=-=-=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-=-