Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can the STAMP communicate to PDA? — Parallax Forums

Can the STAMP communicate to PDA?

ER-DrER-Dr Posts: 26
edited 2005-11-21 02:25 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all;
Iam doing a project and i was wondering if i can setup my stamp to communicate with IrDA enabled devices?
My goal is to have the stamp use a modem to log onto the internet, download a picture or data file and send it via infrared to·a PDA.
Iam looking at speeds of 115kbps.

Thanks for your help!
Mike
·

Comments

• TiboTibo Posts: 81
    edited 2005-11-20 13:32
    I'm not sure IR buddy product can be used with the IrDA protocole, since the doc mention the RC-5 protocole...rolleyes.gif

idea.gif So I typed IrDA in the Parallax search engine and I got a book which mentionned a commercial product called IrDA Communicator and seems to be sold per a swedish company.
    To code IR communications on a Windows Mobile device with the Compact Framework have a look here

++
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-11-20 18:21
    Bluetooth would be a better data link to the PDA, more bandwidth. Since IR is line of sight, you have to be in the same room or very close by. Palm has a cheapo version of 'C' for $18USD that can get you into creating a software applicaton.

Stamps have a Bluetooth link now, but I am not sure if it is bi-directional or only passes data towards a computer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-11-20 19:10
    The EB500 is a complete 2 way bluetooth system. I haven't used it with a PDA, but it does great with a PC.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-11-20 19:12
    Iam doing a project and i was wondering if i can setup my stamp to communicate with IrDA enabled devices?
    My goal is to have the stamp use a modem to log onto the internet, download a picture or data file and send it via infrared to a PDA.
    Iam looking at speeds of 115kbps.

Thanks for your help!
    Mike

1. IrDA is very limited in distance.
    2. The BS2 is very limited in memory capability. Downloading a picture file takes a LOT of ram.
    3. The IR-Buddy is more a TV Remote Control device replacement than it is a generic IR device.
    4. IrDA is basically RS-232, modulated on an IR driver. You'll need external hardware to implement this.
  • ER-DrER-Dr Posts: 26
    edited 2005-11-21 02:25
    Hi all;
    I bought the Stamp 2 Communication book and built the IrDA Communicator circuit. The main issue was actually the fact that it doesn't implement the IrDA protocol its a very simple transmit of RAW infrared. It doesn't do initiate discovery of a device communicate and do all the required stuff as if you want it to communicate with a laptop.

The problem with the Sweedish company's Irda is that it is a bit slow.....i asked them they said the fastest is 57600bps, i looking for 115kbps.

All i want to do is program a microcontroller to detect an IrDA enabled device. Have three buttons (one for picture, one for schedule, one for map) and then have that file sent via infrared. If that works i will then take it a step further and have it log on to the internet and transmit real-time data like news.

i greatly appreciate your help!

Mike