Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PINK - HELP, Does anyone have an extra? — Parallax Forums

PINK - HELP, Does anyone have an extra?

Jeff B.Jeff B. Posts: 8
edited 2005-11-18 00:24 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

I'm in a production down / revenue down situation with my business. The issue is an old Red-i webserver that has died. I know that PINK is the replacement solution. I know that it is back ordered right now until Christmas. I've contacted both NetBurner and Parallax, and it's definitely back ordered.

My question to all, does anyone have one they would be willing to sell to me, or let me borrow for a fee until I can get my own in December when they are back in stock?

If you have a PINK you are willing to part with for a month, please contact me at jboly ..AT.. teammojo ..DOT.. org

Thanks so much, Jeff.

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-11-17 17:43
    Jeff,

I think we have an extra Red-I in the office. I've kept one for an emergency crisis. Would you prefer to use the Red-I to get the show back on the road, if we have one?

Ken
  • Jeff B.Jeff B. Posts: 8
    edited 2005-11-17 17:53
    Ken,

Thanks for the offer. I emailed back and forth with Chris Savage in your tech support re: the Red-i. The issue is that the one that Ihad bought came with a newer firmware, 1.14.2. It suddenly hung to the point that the only thing I could do was reflash it with the firmware image that is on your web site on the Red-i discontinued product page. The trouble is, that firmware is 1.14 and it is far less stable. After a certain number of posts, the Red-i just hangs. And this creates my problem. I figure the PINK is a lot more stable to begin with, since NetBurner specializes in these serial to ethernet products. So this would be a better long term solution.

I contacted NetBurner to see if there was any way to speed things up, and they said that the Parallax license prohibits them from flashing an SB70 with the Parallax firmware and shipping one to me. The NetBurner sales guy offered to accomodate if I could get permission from Parallax for a special one deal to help me with my predicament, but when he checked inventory, he realized they are all out of the SB70, on which the PINK is based. So it's really just an inventory problem.

Thus my plea. If anyone, including Parallax has one that they could load me for a month, I'd be happy to work out a rental fee, etc. Once they are back in stock, I will buy one as a permanent fix. I was planning on placing an order today to get in the queue.

Thanks for your response.

-Jeff
    edited 2005-11-17 17:59
    Jeff,

Okay, this is a problem. We have one in our office on Ryan's desk. I wouldn't ask him to let it go because we'd be unable to do support on the product. Some of our distributors purchased Red-Is, so let me check with our Sales staff to see if I can track down where we've sold some of these units. We might have some sitting in our distribution inventory outside of the office.

Back soon.

- Ken
    edited 2005-11-17 18:03
    Ken,

Yeah, I definitely don't want you to give up your support unit, because if I have any problems, who would I ask for support. wink.gif
    Netburner had the same issue, their only unit was at their tech support desk.

But perfect, your distributors might hold the solution. Thanks so much for checking.

-Jeff
    edited 2005-11-17 18:04
    Ken,
    Oh, and do any of your sub distributors purchase PINK units? There could be a few unsold somewhere?
    Thanks, Jeff
  • mojorizingmojorizing Posts: 249
    edited 2005-11-17 18:17
    Hi Jeff,
    I just rec'vd my PINK , but it's not slated for a project as yet. I bought it at the introductory price, but would sell it to you at the current price plus shipping. I also have a number of Siteplayer/SX28 protoboards available if you're interested. It can be seen at;www.parallax.com/sx/contest/surf_cam/Surf-Cam.pdf

If Ken can't find a Redi, these 2 solutions could work.

later, Kevin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world.... those that know binary, and those that don't.
    edited 2005-11-17 18:20
    Jeff,

Problem solved. Contact me off-line kgracey@parallax.com.

- Ken
    edited 2005-11-17 18:47
    Kevin,

Thanks very much for the offer. I'm checking out Ken's option, but if that does not work, I will definitely take you up on your offer. And I might be interested in one of the siteplayers as well for another project. I checked out your Surfcam. Very nice.

I'll get back to you shortly.
    Thanks,
    edited 2005-11-18 00:24
    A big thanks to both of you for responding. This was a fantastic demonstration of the Parallax community. My needs were met within a few hours extracting me from a real bind. Score one for the Forums. And score one for Parallax, awesome customer support.

Kevin,

Thanks for the offer. I misread your post. I thought you had Siteplayers for sale, when in fact it was just the protoboards. Although those still might come in handy. How much? Curious also as to why you needed to use the 28SX for your design instead of just using the outputs on the Siteplayer?

Thanks, Jeff