Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Measuring temperature with B. Stamp2 — Parallax Forums

Measuring temperature with B. Stamp2

JoeJoe Posts: 184
edited 2005-11-19 19:25 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

Only to know an other chip ( instead DS1620)
becasue I am using a Bs2 with a DS1620 but I need
to read lower temperatures.

I need to read temperatures about -130ºF (-90ºC).

Any help?

Thanks, Joe

confused.gif

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-11-17 16:44
    Well, I believe the DS in the DS1620 represents Dallas Semiconductor.

They may have another product. You can also search Digikey for available product and prices.
    Obviously, you have a very special need.

Alternatively, you might consider using a thermocouple if there is an appropriate low temperature one. But as far as I know, they are made for extreme high temperatures. Google is your friend.

You may have exceeded the functional limit of semiconductor physics and need to find a way to acquire data secondarily.· Low level IR sensors come to mind.

Postscript·-- www.ysi.com has platinum wire sensors down to -200 decrees C, but you best have deep pockets.· They seem to have several technologies with other barriers at about -55·and·-80

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 11/17/2005 5:15:25 PM GMT
  • JoeJoe Posts: 184
    edited 2005-11-18 01:28
    Thanks,

Do you know an other place to buy?.

Thanks, Joe
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-11-18 01:33
    Omega has a wide variety of thermocouples www.omega.com/toc_asp/sectionSC.asp?section=A&book=temperature
  • JoeJoe Posts: 184
    edited 2005-11-18 02:28
    Many thanks,

I will study this.

Thanks, Joe
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-11-18 14:02
    Is there some other mechanism or parameter you could measere to achieve to get the data you want?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-11-18 15:05
    I just love to explore the limits of technology. Cold seems to be a real frontier.

I was surprised to see that Omega has 100 ohm Platinum wire in glass for $51 and $45 USD. These are rated at -220 degrees to +400 degrees C. Of course, you still have to integrate that into a calibrated system, but the can actually be immersed [noparse][[/noparse]in what I don't know].

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2005-11-18 19:33
    You could use just any thermistor using a heating circuit.

You could use enough current to actually heat the thermistor while it is attached/imersed.

I am thinking using a thermistor that has more resistance the colder it gets you drive current through it as part of a resistor ladder. Measure the voltage across the first resistor using an ADC.

Using time as your measurement, it will take much longer to reduce the resistance in the thermistor when it is at -130 than when it is at -100, monitoring the voltage on the second resistor tells you when the resistance has hit your target and some math to calculate the time it took could give you your tempreture.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Think outside the BOX!
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-11-19 19:25
    Type E thermocouples (chromel constantan) are popular for cryogenic applications down to -270 celsius (a mere 3 degrees above absolute zero. They are the usual sensor in environmental chambers cooled by liquid Nitrogen or LCO2. Type K and type T general purpose couples are also useful down to the -200 degrees Celsius range.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com