Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Questions about the sumobot kit/intro — Parallax Forums

Questions about the sumobot kit/intro

CatharsisCatharsis Posts: 27
edited 2005-12-12 03:51 in Robotics
Hello, I am looking to get into the sumo competitions but don't know anything about the programming/autonomy aspect of things! So I figured the kit on this site would be a great way to learn the basics so I could go onto building my own. I think I am compotent on the mechanical side of things - I have plenty of high powered servos, motors, lithium batteries, carbon fiber sheets, etc. at my disposal.

Does anybody here compete with sumo robots? Have any links with pics, vids, or a list of competitions?

And for reference, how much does one assembled sumo robot kit weigh? It looks to be well below 500g but I could be way off. smilewinkgrin.gif

Thanks

Comments

• Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-11-17 06:21
    I would suggest downloading the books for the Sumobot, and Andy's new book on Advanced Robotics with the Sumobot (the book that comes with the new kit)- it will get you started on the way with how to start thinking about code for a competition bound bot-

The specifics of each contest depend on the contest- Google for official sites for rules, but check with the competitions in your area, they may have altered rule sets.

I'll post the weight of a completed sumobot in the morning- I don't have one here- I believe they are within specs for some of the competitions- I'll let you know.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • CatharsisCatharsis Posts: 27
    edited 2005-12-12 03:51
    I am just interested in the weight of the robot so I can get a general idea for what I will have to work with. I will probably play around with the kit for a while to leard how it works, then I can use the sensors and BS to make another robot of my own.

Thanks,