Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
voltage mix — Parallax Forums

voltage mix

japerjaper Posts: 105
edited 2005-11-21 23:29 in BASIC Stamp
hello
i have notice that alot of chips used with basic stamp in class have wide ranges of voltage
some up to 32 volts dc,
can basic stamp coexist with higher voltage on a PCB or will some type of
Shielding be needed
I also realize that basic stamp operates at 5 Volts
thanks
japer

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-11-16 14:44
    I would probably never risk putting a Stamp with a 32 volt supply. That number seems very high. Even if it·was possible [noparse][[/noparse]it is NOT], the voltage regulator must dump the wasted voltage as heat - a whole lot of heat. You might 'pre-regulate it down to 9 volts or so and let the 7809 dump the heat first and away from the Stamp.

If you go through the voltage regulator on the Stamp, it can operate at somewhat higher voltages but you must supply roughly a 7 volt minimum to the regulator. This has the added advantage of removing some ripple from the power source if that is a problem.

Transients may or may not be deflected by the voltage regulator, but it serves as another eliminating device.
    If you are in a hostel EMI environment, creation of a clean power supply becomes important as the interferance will cause spurious resets. Sometimes a ferrite bead on the income power lines will capture that trash. I have also send either capacitors or ferrite beads on the dc motors to eliminate 'brush noise' at the source.

I would carefully check the specification sheets for your upper limit as different voltage regulators provide differnent top end allowance - THERE IS NOT ANY RULE OF THUMB, so don't fall prey to an imagined one. Just quickly glancing at the web site, I see some at 12 volt max and some at 15 volt max.

The evolution of the BasicStamp product line has come with some changes in components and may have future changes. It is safer to treat each kind of Stamp as a different electrical specification than to be disappointed. I suspect that within one product Parallax will try to hold to one specification rather than create confusion and ultimately have to accept responsiblity for damaged units.

Confusion is added to by some carrier or development boards [noparse][[/noparse]main 3rd party] having there own regulator specifcations because they include their own regulator and by-pass the Stamp's. [noparse][[/noparse]The 7805 will take up to 30 plus volts in some cases.]

Some of these boards use further an in-line diode to protect polarity. This also causes a 0.7 voltage drop. At the bottom end of your supply range, you have to provide 0.7 more volts to attain operation and at the top end, it allows you to add 0.7 volts to the operational maximum.

As you can see, it is really up to you to watch the power distribution and to keep it within range.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 11/16/2005 2:48:41 PM GMT
  • japerjaper Posts: 105
    edited 2005-11-21 23:29
    hello kramer
    i guess i should rephrase the question.
    would sheiding be needed? Using a stamp controller supplied by it's own 5 volt source . Control using low amp switching
    with it's own power supply
    32 dc volt loaded componets on the same pcb ?

thanks
    japer