Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS1USB and SERIN & SEROUT — Parallax Forums

BS1USB and SERIN & SEROUT

ItsMeNickItsMeNick Posts: 19
edited 2005-11-15 23:27 in BASIC Stamp
Basic Stamp New comer here...

Is it possible to use the USB interface to get and send data between my BS1USB and computer, or do I have to make a serial connector from one of the pins?

If so, how could I go about using Hyperterminal to receive and send commands/information to my BS1USB?

Thanks!

-Nick

Comments

• Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-11-15 23:10
    Nick,

Consider the USB as simply a serial connection. Even in your device manager you'll see that a COM port is mapped to the device. This being the case, anything you could do serially will apply here...

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • ItsMeNickItsMeNick Posts: 19
    edited 2005-11-15 23:15
    Great...

Do you know of any resources on how to get and send information/commands with the Basic Stamp I?

Thanks,

Nick
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-15 23:17
    The BS1 does DEBUG (the only way to get serial data from the BS1 to the PC) much differently than the BS2 does; and the real workload is put on the PC side.· This article discusses the BS1 DEBUG steam and may help you construct a custom app to get data from the USB-BS1.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol1/col/nv20.pdf

Per Ryan's comment, the FTDI VCP drivers make the com port used by the BS1-USB look just like any other serial port.· Note that there is no way to send serial data to the USB-BS1 via the USB port; this is possible only with the BS2.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • ItsMeNickItsMeNick Posts: 19
    edited 2005-11-15 23:21
    Thanks for the article Jon!

Now you say I can't do it via the USB port, but can I use one of the PINs and use an actual serial port?
    I'm assuming the answer here is yes... hopefully smile.gif
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-15 23:27
    Sure, if you have a standard serial port you could. I've connected lots of BS1 modules directly to a PC comm port (again, standard serial only, no USB).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax