Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about the Basic Stamp programming manual. — Parallax Forums

Question about the Basic Stamp programming manual.

SN96SN96 Posts: 318
edited 2005-11-15 18:13 in BASIC Stamp
I want to learn more about Pbasic and become proficiant in the language. Will the Basic Stamp programming manual cover all available commands? If not, what book should I get to learn the full line of available commands?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Mike

"Don't always think outside the box, sometimes thinking inside the box is more pratical and simple."
·

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-11-14 17:18
    Yes, the BS2 programming manual covers all available commands.

You might download the "What's a Microcontroller" and "Analog and Digital Interfacing" texts for more examples.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-14 17:18
    The manual is the only printed document that covers every command -- you can also find them in the online help file.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2005-11-14 19:28
    I have the "What's a micro controller" book But I have finished it. The book was easy to understand and I would like to get another book that uses the same easy-to-follow text. I love the analogy provided in the book. I have been using the help file for examples, but I hate sitting at the computer reading stuff for hours. I do my best learning lying on the couch with my nose buried in the book. I find if I'm not comfortable, I can't comprehend didely squat.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

"Don't always think outside the box, sometimes thinking inside the box is more pratical and simple."
    ·
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-11-14 19:32
    Mike,

If that's the case, I'd do the following:

- cruise the Nuts and Volts of BASIC Stamp downloads and print those which may be of interest
    - get the Robotics with the Boe-Bot text (even if you don't buy a Boe-Bot, you can download and print this book)
    - Understanding Signals and Process Control are my other two favorites, even without the hardware
    - see what our customers are doing in Resources / Customer Applications on Parallax web site

And maybe download some of the documentation for our sensors. There's a ton of documentation buried on our web site that is not on the download pages from the main menu, but attached to the pages where products are purchased.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2005-11-14 19:44
    Thanks Ken,

I will do those things you mentioned.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

·
  • KB3JJGKB3JJG Posts: 95
    edited 2005-11-14 20:20
    You might also pick up "The Microcontroller Application Cookbook" There are 2 volumes, these are great items, they are all about the bs2 and have very cool code samples and easy to understand explanations.

Vol 1 ISBN 0615115527···Parallax Link
    Vol· 2 ISBN 0972015906· Parallax Link

Happy Stamping!

Joe
    KB3JJG

Post Edited (KB3JJG) : 11/14/2005 8:24:10 PM GMT
  • SteelSteel Posts: 313
    edited 2005-11-15 01:14
    The Help file in PBasic is extremely useful, as well. never give up on the help files.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-11-15 15:34
    The Help File is highly under-rated.· I have been a Stamp Programmer for some years now (Since 2000).· And of course, I go way back in terms of programming other microcontrollers and CPUs.· But I always open the help file in my second monitor when I am programming so I have it as a reference if needed.· I find I use it more than not.· There's nothing wrong with making use of good resources.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-11-15 18:13
    I found that Scott Edwards book "Programming and Customizing the Basic Stamp" was a great book that went through some excellent tutorials. It also covers electronic basics as well! You can get it at Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0071371923/qid=1132078277/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-0478246-0042307?v=glance&s=books&n=507846