Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo Delay - How can I remove the delay between positions? — Parallax Forums

Servo Delay - How can I remove the delay between positions?

SN96SN96 Posts: 318
edited 2005-11-14 02:04 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all

I'm trying to expand my knowledge on how to program the basic stamp since completing the "What's a microcontroller?" book. I have the Home work board, and I am trying to make my servo move from one position to another with out any delay. The problem I am having with the code below, is the servo does move to different locations·about as fast as I can get it, but when I hold the servo in my hand, I can feel the servo humming when it reaches each position and holds·for·a half second.

' {$STAMP BS2}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}

counter VAR Word

DO
 FOR counter = 1 TO 150
  PULSOUT 14, 750
  PAUSE 1
 NEXT

FOR counter = 1 TO 150
  PULSOUT 14, 500
  PAUSE 1
 NEXT

LOOP

I understand you need to use pause 20 to give a 2.0ms delay between pulses, but what If I want instant response from one position to another? Would I need a PSC to do this?
·
I appreciate any help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Mike

"Don't always think outside the box, sometimes thinking inside the box is more pratical and simple."
·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-11-14 01:45
    Mike,

·· The PAUSE 20 doesn't affect the rotational speed of the servo, especially if you suddenly send it a different number.· You're refreshing of the servo is going to ensure that it makes it to it's new destination.· On the other hand, you have a PAUSE 1, which will simply make most servos stutter while moving, and can actually make it move slower.

·· There is an easier way if you're going from one fixed position to another, rather than stepping through each iteration of the loop counter, as you are in your example.· For starters, one way to increase the speed would be to put the PAUSE back to 20, and STEP the count value by 5 or 10.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2005-11-14 02:04
    Thanks Chris!
    As usual, you guys are always awsome! I was able to get my problem solved before you replied·by changing the step values. I appreciate your help / reply,·becuse it only confirms what I am doing is correct.

Here is the code that is running on my desk at this very moment:
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

speed VAR Word
    counter VAR Word

DO

DEBUG "moving arm... " , HOME

FOR speed = 1100 TO 220 STEP 20
       PULSOUT 14, speed
       PAUSE 12
     NEXT

FOR speed = 220 TO 1200 STEP 20
       PULSOUT 14, speed
       PAUSE 12
     NEXT

LOOP

It is working very smooth, as soon as the servo reaches one position, it istantly moves to the othe position, just as I wanted.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

"Don't always think outside the box, sometimes thinking inside the box is more pratical and simple."
    ·