Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Oscilloscope Question || Analyze Sound Waves — Parallax Forums

Oscilloscope Question || Analyze Sound Waves

DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
edited 2005-11-14 04:54 in BASIC Stamp
Hello. I bought the parallax Oscillospoce and I have a question.

Is there any way I can set the oscilloscope program so that I can acuratly show sound waves?

I am trying to anakyze the output of a microphone

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-11-13 22:07
    Dia,

Sure. What settings are you trying? Unamplified signals from a mic are going to be very low volatge, so you want to use the lowest voltage scale. I have used the 'scope many times on sound and ultrasound. Tell us a little more about what you are trying to do and what you have done so far.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2005-11-14 01:18
    DiablodeMorte ("Devil of death" is it? Hmmm...),

Well, you know,...

an oscilloscope needs to trigger --·and in order to·do that·it needs a signal with a regular (constant) interval (frequency).

You wrote that your intention is to analyze or view audio signals derived from a microphone.· Sound can be a very complex thing.··A stable tone (a simple, single·frequency) is·very triggerable.· A combination of stable tones is triggerable, too.

In the case of·voice or music, complex combinations of sounds changing rapidly in frequency and amplitude, there's very little to trigger on (because there's nothing truly repetitive.)· And in this case all that you can probably hope for is to "see" a good deal of amplitude variation, but nothing that otherwise will appear to make much·more sense than that.· There'll be vertical deflection with amplitude variation, certainly, but you won't be able to "nail" anything.
  • DiablodeMorteDiablodeMorte Posts: 238
    edited 2005-11-14 02:59
    Ohk. Well. I may have resolved this project already. I will post tommorrow if it does not work out.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2005-11-14 04:54
    I prefer 'Necronomicon Ex Mortis' - the Book of the Dead, referred to in the Evil Dead movies