Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Reading a rotary encoder with BS2 — Parallax Forums

Reading a rotary encoder with BS2

bogagbogag Posts: 2
edited 2005-11-13 15:05 in BASIC Stamp
Dear stampers,
I am relatively new to basic stamps and I need to read a roraty encoder in both directions, CW and CCW.
Someone could help me?
Thanks in advance

Boggiatto Agostino

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-11-13 12:48
    Boggiatto -

We'd be happy to help, if we had some information on which rotary encoder you·are using. A link to the web site, and a catalog number, is usually all we need.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-13 13:23
    This article will help: http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol6/col/nv127.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • bogagbogag Posts: 2
    edited 2005-11-13 13:24
    Hello Mr. Bates,
    my encoder is a BOURNS ENA1J - B28 - L00064.
    Regards

Boggiatto Agostino
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-11-13 14:26
    Boggiatto -

The Bourns (pls note spelling) EN Series of optical encoders emit a quadrature signal of 2-bit gray code. Here is an additional resource for dealing with quadrature signals, and decyphering gray code, thanks to Dr. Tracy Allen:

http://www.emesystems.com/BS2fsm.htm#twobit

I have also attached the Bourns EN Series data sheet, for your referral, in case you need it.

P.S. Mr. Bates was my father, I'm just plain Bruce :-)

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • bobledouxbobledoux Posts: 187
    edited 2005-11-13 15:05
    Sometime back I remember finding a website that used a stepper motor for a rotary encoder. The idea has merit. The stepper comes with the bearings required to provide a long life. Just mount it on a face plate and you're ready to go.

Does anybody recall such a website? It might be ham radio as the encoder might have been used as a frequency tuning control on a radio receiver.