Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ultrasonic Range Finder Materials Question — Parallax Forums

Ultrasonic Range Finder Materials Question

Chicago MikeChicago Mike Posts: 88
edited 2005-11-12 00:12 in BASIC Stamp
I'm working on a project, that I'm thinking of using the Ping))) Range finder, and I'm wondering if someone knew two things that I can't seem to located in the cut sheet.

- I'm looking to measure the distance TO water. Does anyone know if I can do this with this sensor, meaning, does water echo sound waves decently·enough for a device like this to work okay? (Abviously staying withing tolerance of 3 meters)

-Again, because I'm using distance to water, in the event of a screw up, has anyone tried using a film or something over the sensor to protect it (I was thinking a thin layer of plastic wrap), but is there any material that will protect against water but still allow the PING)))·to properly send and receive.

Thanks!
Mike.
·

Comments

• Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2005-11-11 22:49
    Chicago Mike said...
    - I'm looking to measure the distance TO water. Does anyone know if I can do this with this sensor, meaning, does water echo sound waves decently enough for a device like this to work okay? (Abviously staying withing tolerance of 3 meters)
    Ok, very unscientific methods, but here's my results. smile.gif I took my ping sensor and suspended it above a small dish of water here at my desk. It was able to reliably detect the surface as I moved the sensor up and down. I imagine as long as the surface area is not "frothing", for example the surface of a bubble bath, you would get very reliable readings.

Oh, and FWIW, I was able to sense the distance to the surface of water suspended above the sensor (i.e. the sensor on the desk facing "up" and the water surface being moved up and down above the sensor). Can you figure out how I did that? lol.gif
    Chicago Mike said...
    -Again, because I'm using distance to water, in the event of a screw up, has anyone tried using a film or something over the sensor to protect it (I was thinking a thin layer of plastic wrap), but is there any material that will protect against water but still allow the PING))) to properly send and receive.
    As an experiment I put a piece of clear "scotch" tape over the sensors. The PING sensor immmediately stopped responding to any object (i.e. I only see values of 10,000 or higher). I then tried putting the tape over the "left" sensor only, and the unit would respond to items placed within 3-5 inches, and then only intermittently. If I cover the right sensor, it only changes output if an object comes within 1-2 inches of the PING)) unit, again, intermittently. So, the protective film would have to be thinner than regular "office" style clear tape. I would imagine covering the sensor in any way would really screw up the device calibration as well.

Anyway, I hope this is useful info. smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

Post Edited (Vern) : 11/11/2005 10:53:36 PM GMT
  • Doug PientakDoug Pientak Posts: 16
    edited 2005-11-12 00:12
    Hello,

Like already stated before you should be able to measure the water just fine.· Although I have never tried it my self.· I am not sure what you could put in front of the Ping that would protect it and not cause an echo.· Anything flat and smooth will create and echo, even if its very thin.

Doug P

Parallax Engineering