Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Studded Rods — Parallax Forums

Studded Rods

WaldoDTDWaldoDTD Posts: 142
edited 2005-11-13 14:32 in Robotics
Can someone explain to me how a studed rod works, I have been told that it is basically a ball and socket joint. What type of rod ends best replicates the ball and socket configuration? I always assumed that this was a huge problem still unsolved in engineering. Thanks!-Hacker

Comments

• SN96SN96 Posts: 318
    edited 2005-11-11 17:05
    Are you talking about something like this?

RodEndsLg.gif

Go to http://www.rod-ends.com/·for more types and examples.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

"Don't always think outside the box, sometimes thinking inside the box is more pratical and simple."
    ·
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2005-11-11 18:11
    If you're after something smaller, look at the local Radio Control hobby shop (or online).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
    edited 2005-11-11 18:51
    And you can go here http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_linkages.html

·To get somthing like this:
    ·69064.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

"Don't always think outside the box, sometimes thinking inside the box is more pratical and simple."
    ·
  • WaldoDTDWaldoDTD Posts: 142
    edited 2005-11-11 22:05
    and this is the equivalent to a ball and socket joint?
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2005-11-11 23:04
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "equivalent".

The devices shown are called "shperical rod ends" (and probably other things, depending on where you are from and what industry) and have a ball with a hole through it. This ball rides in the carrier, and pretty much pivots the same as a ball and socket joint (able to revolve about the pivot, and a limited amount of "off axis" pivoting).

The hole is for a pin, screw or bolt to go through to attach the rod end. This is the big difference, where a ball and socket "snaps" over the ball, you need to put a pin or other fastener through the hole of these guys.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.

8 + 8 = 10
    edited 2005-11-11 23:11
    Exactly what john said. And a true ball and socket joint, like John has mentioned where the rod end "snaps" over a ball that is screwed into something is show in the picture. The image below shows the white plastic rod ends. One of them is assembled if you look at the top right of the picture.

Ball_Linkages.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

·
  • FreezeSukkaFreezeSukka Posts: 41
    edited 2005-11-13 14:32
    There is also a company called Dubro·which seels a bunch of neat stuff like you are looking for and much more.
    ~Jeff

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    P.S. This is what this part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eliminated.