Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp capabilities — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp capabilities

SpencerSpencer Posts: 17
edited 2005-11-11 15:15 in BASIC Stamp
I have an application in mind and am curious to know if a plain BS2 will be enough for what I am planning.· I would like to be able to run two stepper motors, four or more servos, and take inputs from three or four infrared sensors,· a distance sensor, and a keyboard and have these inputs dictate the motion of the servos and steppers.· I've never really done anything this involved and am just wondering if it is feasible and how difficult it will be to program.· Thanks.

Comments

• Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-11-11 14:09
    I think you will need a bit more processing power than what a BS2 can provide. I think you want to off-load the processing of the servos and stepper to other devices (like the Parallax Servo Controller (PSC) and the Little Step-U Motor Controller). This will enable the BS2 to serve as the "master" sending commands to the other devices and letting the other devices carry out the actions for you. Makse sense?
  • SpencerSpencer Posts: 17
    edited 2005-11-11 14:24
    Make perfect sense. I was actually planning on a separate stepper motor controller, such as the lilstep, but I hadn't thought about a servo controller. Thanks for the reply.
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2005-11-11 15:15
    Spencer -

Unless power comsumption is a major concern, whichever way you choose to implement this system, I'd opt for at least a BS-2SX. More horsepower (speed), 8 banks of programming space, and at not too great an incremental cost.

The speed will definitely help if you opt NOT to use a servo controller, since the BS-2SX is 2.5 times faster than the BS-2. The memory availability goes from 1 x 2K to 8 x 2K, and you aslo get scratchpad ram if you need it. All this for only a $10.00 increase in price.

Just my 2 cents, and worth just what you paid for it smile.gif

Regards,

Bruce Bates