Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PDB and Quadravox EV306M1 — Parallax Forums

PDB and Quadravox EV306M1

WillWhiteWillWhite Posts: 15
edited 2005-11-09 15:52 in BASIC Stamp
Hi folks,

This is my first attempt at using a basic stamp, and I'm trying to solve a particular problem at work. Of course, I opened the box up and got started as soon as everything arrived, but not even 5 minutes into setting my circuit up I've run into a problem.

I'm making a device which will take the input from a PBX serial output, read the phone number, and call back the user who is requesting info. I've got the circuit all drawn out and will be using a DAA for the phone line interface. For now I want to get the circuit up and running without an interface to the phone line so I can work on the project in pieces.

While hooking the QV306M1 up to the built-in speaker on the Parallax PDB ( Professional Development Board ) I noticed a lack of a negative speaker connection. The schematic for the PDB shows all 4 connections to the internal speaker and tied together with the negative driver for the speaker tied to DSS. The QV306M1 appears to want to tie to both a positive and negative speaker wire (Pin 15 and 16 on the QV306M1). I'm most likely overlooking a simple solution to this problem, but since I'm trying to convince my boss to let me design solutions to problems in this way, I don't want to tie something together that could possibly damage any components.

Any help on how I can hook these two pins to the PDB internal speaker would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-09 15:47
    The PDB has its own amplifer -- if you connect the amplifed output of the QV306 you will probably burn up something, so don't.· You can either connect the SP+ and SP- pins to an external·book-shelf speaker, or use the Aout output (pin 10).· If you're powering the QV306 from the PDB power supply then you've already got the ground connection.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • WillWhiteWillWhite Posts: 15
    edited 2005-11-09 15:49
    Thank you for the quick reply. I figured it may burn something up, I'm glad I posted here before getting too "experimental". smile.gif
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-09 15:52
    Good call on your part; when in doubt, just ask -- you'll find lots of friendly folks in our forums who will lend a technical hand.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax