Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Use BS2P As Voltage Meter and Amp Meter — Parallax Forums

Use BS2P As Voltage Meter and Amp Meter

DukeDuke Posts: 21
edited 2005-11-10 00:31 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I want to·use BS2P·measure·low·voltage·range 0-5 Volt by·milivolt and Display on basic 16x2 LCD
From·BS2P manual there·are·circuit sample using ADC0831 (National semiconductor) 8-Bit Serial A/D

Would this IC suit for my project? On National website there are also 10-Bit 12-Bit A/D
How to choose the suitable IC.

And if I want to measure the current (mA) is it simple like to use one resistance connected parallel with
this volt measure then calculate by I=V/R ?

Please give me some suggestion if there are better A/D IC and also Current measuring method
If you can post me some good links it would be a great.

Thank you.

Duke..
·

Comments

• N8YXN8YX Posts: 18
    edited 2005-11-09 12:18
    Duke,

If you're looking for resolution in the 10mv-per-division range, the AD0831 will do fine.

The device will measure 0 to 5v. Not sure what current range you're looking to
    measure, but by use of an appropriate shunt resistance you can define any current
    range you desire...keeping in mind the resolution limitation.

"And if I want to measure the current (mA) is it simple like to use one resistance connected parallel with
    this volt measure then calculate by I=V/R ?"

Correct.

Should you need a wider sampling range, consider the 10 and 12-bit ADCs, as you
    have noted previously.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-11-09 17:41
    A lot depends on whether or not the thing you want to measure can share a ground connection with the Stamp and the ADC. It is easier if they can share a ground. If the grounds are not the same, then you will need a differential input to the analog to digital converter. The measurement of current may have to be done on the "high side". There are special chips that help with that, for example, the MAX475 uses a 30 milliohm sense resistor and produces a proportional signal with respect to ground that you can measure with an ADC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • DukeDuke Posts: 21
    edited 2005-11-10 00:31
    Thank you,

If I want to measure 4 channels voltage can I use IC in the series with AD0831
    and will I get all channels data at the same time.

Duke..