Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 2 to SX/B board? — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 2 to SX/B board?

T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
edited 2005-11-10 19:50 in BASIC Stamp
Now that my Talking Video Clock is finished (for now?)....

I·was very impressed with the SX-Video module and OSD module that I would like to learn more on programming the SX chips.

I saw on the Parallax website a "SX Tech Tool Kit PLUS" for $30 off at $99 as a web special.

What else do I need?
I have a 2A 5vdc p/s for my BS2 BOE (will this work?).
But for the $10 1A 7.5vdc Parallax version it's worth it too.

How hard will it be to do the transition from a BS2 into the SX-28 or 48? I haven't practiced assembly language in 10 years since college but I am persistent to learn and·believe I have the ability.

Comments....thoughts?

·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-11-09 05:22
    Tim,

·· Remember, you can start with SX/B...This way you can work with a more PBASIC-Like language and see how that translates into assembly code.· You can always use inline assembly to experiment as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-11-09 06:02
    tdg8934:

Since you're on the forums, it'll be easy. One difference between SX/B and our other products is the amount (or lack of) printed resources. We've allowed the compiler to mature significantly before publishing any printed books like we've got for the BASIC Stamp, so the super easy tutorials don't exist. Big differences include a slower download process, a true debugger (vs. the serial debugging in a BASIC Stamp), super high speed (5,000x faster than a BS2, perhaps), and more necessity to learn the architecture if you want to capitalize on the resources. None of this should be a big barrier to you, and the last item is the most important.

Provided you've got enough guts to post questions on this forum you'll sail right into a lot of fun with the SX. Every day I talk to customers who are using SX/B and have never posted questions on the forum because they are quite shy, insisting on lurking around or just having some concerns about being a newbie. But for the SX and SX/B, the forums are everything in terms of support. We've got some really good professionals in the SX forum that will answer all questions for you. And with the lack of printed SX/B resources, the forums are your ticket.

Go for it - I'll take your kit back for a 100% refund, no questions asked if you are not entirely happy. I'd do anything to have some time to work with the SX. . . if it weren't for those darned Penguin robots I always build when I find free time then I'd probably have used an interrupt on the SX by now. . . I don't get the luxury of working with the SX on the job like Ryan and Chris. They're so polluted with ample supplies of Parallax hardware that their only problem is deciding what project to do next.

Oh, one suggestion. You're shopping for the cheapest solution and you found it. But if you figured out how to buy a Professional Development Board this would be even easier to break into. The SX Tech Board is like a BOE (and it even fits on the Boe-Bot) but the PDB is the cat's meow for using the SX. Meow.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
    edited 2005-11-09 11:46
    With all of this great support, you can't go wrong. You both have sold me. I will get my order in to the website today!

Thanks for all the information!

Timothy Gilmore
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-11-09 12:41
    Tim,
    Just remember that SX/B is an "inline" compiler. IOW every time you use something like SEROUT the compiler generates ALL the code to perform the command. Examine Jon's SX/B examples and you will see that he puts most of the high level command inside subroutines.

That brings up another difference, SX/B allows you to pass parameters to subroutines and return values from subroutines and use subroutines by name without having to put "GOSUB" in front them.

The help file in SX/B is just great. It has a number of complete example programs.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module" Now available from Parallax for only·$49.95
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

Those that would give up freedom for security will have neither.
    ·
    edited 2005-11-09 13:47
    After hearing from Ken on how much better the PRO kit is.......

I just ordered a SX Tech Tool Kit PRO and 7.5vdc p/s. I really like all the extra's (but will have to get an LCD mod later). For all of the·times I went to the electronics store (tons of resistors/caps/IC's/wires/LEDs, etc) for my BS2 BOE developing, it should be complementary with the new PRO kit. For·double the cost of·the SX Tech Tool Kit PLUS, I hope it is worth it. It is coming UPS 2nd day air.

However, I did notice after the fact that I entered in (on Parallax's website) the wrong exp date of 08/07 and it should be 08/08. It still went through so hopefully there will be no problems.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-09 14:09
    You may get a call from the sales department -- they're really good at protecting customers like that. And you'll have a blast with the PDB and developing your SX projects. We're having a great time adding features to SX/B and the PDB is the perfect platform to do that with. I'm working on several little "helper" modules for BASIC Stamps using the SX and SX/B -- it's great to have all the hardware on one board for testing.

Have fun! And do note Bean's comment about putting complex SX/B functions into subroutines -- this will save you a lot of code space.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2005-11-09 14:12
    I appreciate the good word about the PDB and can't wait till I get it to develop and learn with it!
    edited 2005-11-09 14:38
    Another couple of question about the PDB...

Can I put my BS2 AND SX-28 into the PDB and use both at the same time or am I limited to one at a time?

Also what LCD works well (plug in?) into the PDB?
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-11-09 14:41
    You can use them both at the same time.
    I often program the BS2 to send data to an SX project I'm working on.
    You will enjoy the PDB it's really a piece of work...
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012

"SX-Video OSD module" Now available from Parallax for only·$49.95
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30015

Product web site: www.sxvm.com

Those that would give up freedom for security will have neither.
    ·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-11-09 15:15
    Tim,

·· To answer your second question, the Parallel LCD we carry is what plugs right into the LCD socket on the board.· But of course, you can use any serial LCD as well.· Ours plugs conveniently into the servo connectors below the LCD block.· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-11-09 15:34
    I wasn't sure which one to go with so I got both.

I just called and fixed the issue with my exp date. I believe I spoke with Paul.

I also added the 2x16 Parallel LCD, not backlit (603-00006) made for the PDB

and the Parallax 2 x16 Serial LCD backlit (27977) and also the 14" LCD extention cable (805-00002,451-00303)

I got them all on today's order for shipping to me by Friday.

Any else for the PDB that I am not thinking of?

Thanks,

Timothy Gilmore

Post Edited (tdg8934) : 11/9/2005 3:38:31 PM GMT
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-09 15:35
    Yes, the only incompatibility issue is with the 40-pin BS2p; if you're using a BS1, a 24-pin BASIC Stamp, or the Javelin Stamp, you can do so with the SX28 plugged in and operating.· Many of the projects that we're doing in the EFX group -- which are accessories for the Prop-1 and other BASIC Stamps -- get designed on the PDB.
    tdg8934 said...

Another couple of question about the PDB...

Can I put my BS2 AND SX-28 into the PDB and use both at the same time or am I limited to one at a time?

Also what LCD works well (plug in?) into the PDB?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • hutdonhutdon Posts: 32
    edited 2005-11-09 16:38
    I have also recently began experimenting with the SX and I agree with Ken on allowing SX/B to mature before publishing any in depth books or manuals - but is there anything on the horizon. About the only things I can find are Jon's turorials and small parts of Al Williams book. I'd really enjoy something meatier and more directed to SX/B! - Don
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2005-11-09 16:57
    Don,

Good question and I'll answer it for you. Yes, there's a Getting Started with SX/B book on the short-term horizon. It's being written by Matt Gilliland and will be introduced along with our new USB SX Blitz and a couple of chips as a low-cost Starter Package. Matt also wrote the popular Microcontroller Application Cookbook V 1 and 2 (as well as another book on inkjet technology with the BASIC Stamp, about to be released). Matt's book will be our first printed resource on SX/B and it will be written from a BASIC Stamp user's perspective.

The schedule is to have it completed soon.

Also, get Guenther Daubach's book on the SX while you wait for us.

Aside from this, there have been several Nuts and Volts - Stamp Applications articles written from Jon Williams on SX/B. But what's missing from all of this is the simple "getting started" process of setup, debugging, directives which will be featured in Matt's book.

We realize that our lack of SX/B printed resources is inhibiting people from using the compiler. But like I said above, the forums can make up for it to some extent until we have a book.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 11/9/2005 5:02:09 PM GMT
    edited 2005-11-10 15:56
    I just got my SX Tool Kit PRO, P/S·and 2 LCD modules as ordered!

It came a day sooner than expected which is great!

Ken,

I want to thank you so much for the extra surprise. That really made my day!

I look forward to doing a lot of reading over the weekend and start experimenting next week.

The PDB is beautifully laided out and professional looking to say the least (PDB).

The hardest thing is coming up with cool ideas.

Thanks again Ken and Parallax for an excellent package!!!

Timothy Gilmore
  • hutdonhutdon Posts: 32
    edited 2005-11-10 19:50
    Thanks for the reply, Ken. Yes, I got Guenther's book with the kit I got from parallax. I also have Matt's books and look forward to the SX/B one.