Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I'm Newbie: I have a process in my lab. I want stamp to call me on the phone wh — Parallax Forums

I'm Newbie: I have a process in my lab. I want stamp to call me on the phone wh

CesarChemECesarChemE Posts: 4
edited 2005-11-18 15:33 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everyone:

I have a very simple application (simple for experienced individuals).

I am a chemical engineer and I have a process in the lab which has an alarm. When the alarm goes off I want to get to the lab as soon as possible. This alarm can be a DC signal (any voltage -·say 5V).

I want stamp to call me on the phone when it receives this signal as input. How do I do this? What kind of equipment do I need? I imagine I need a modem (The Cermetek CH1786A modem???)

I have my own BS2-IC and·BOE, but I don't want to use·them for the lab.·Because I am just going to be using Stamp for this, what module·and·board should I purchase so that is the most economical.

Can someone also include the code that I need to get this going. I thank you in advance for a thorough explanation and help, because I am very new at all this.

Thank you,

Cesar B. Granda
cesar@tamu.edu

·

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-11-08 15:21
    This reference may help you, http://www.emesystems.com/BS2modem.htm courtesy of Tracy Allen, modems are typically used to dial up other modems, how do you plan on the device communicating with you, by just recognizing the caller ID number?

Another solution would be to have an internet connected BS2 to send you either an email to your university account or a SMS text message to your cell phone if your company has an internet SMS interface (Sprint does).

Here's another link: http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/appmod/stampmodem.PDF

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 11/8/2005 3:25:38 PM GMT
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2005-11-08 16:32
    Paul Baker said...
    This reference may help you,

Another solution would be to have an internet connected BS2 to send you either an email to your university account or a SMS text message to your cell phone if your company has an internet SMS interface (Sprint does).

I was about to suggest that too. Probably the easiest method as far as programming and external electronics goes.

If your going to want to send a specific message depending on what alarm went off, then I would say use the internet method.
  • SPENCESPENCE Posts: 204
    edited 2005-11-08 16:37
    Cesar,

what is the maximum distance involved.

spence
    k4kep
  • CesarChemECesarChemE Posts: 4
    edited 2005-11-08 21:52
    Thank you everyone for your answers:

To answer your questions:

[noparse][[/noparse]quote=Paul Baker]
    This reference may help you, http://www.emesystems.com/BS2modem.htm courtesy of Tracy Allen, modems are typically used to dial up other modems, how do you plan on the device communicating with you, by just recognizing the caller ID number?

Yes, I was planning just to recognize the caller ID, then I will know it is coming from that alarm since the alarm will be the only one using that line.

[noparse][[/noparse]quote=Paul Baker]

The email would not be a good choice because the alarm needs immediate response. The SMS message to my cell phone would be very appropriate, on the other hand.

[noparse][[/noparse]quote=BMP]
    I was about to suggest that too. Probably the easiest method as far as programming and external electronics goes.

If your going to want to send a specific message depending on what alarm went off, then I would say use the internet method

There is only one alarm, so all I need is the message telling me that it went off. THat is why a telephone call would suffice.

I can get either a phone line or internet access, and I do have the option to receive messages in my cell phone, so I guess the question here would be which of the two would take less $$$$ to implement. In a university environment, money is one of the biggest concerns when it comes to devices, whereas in industry time is more crucial.

[noparse][[/noparse]quote=SPENCE]
    CESAR,

WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM DISTANCE INVOLVED.

SPENCE
    K4KEP

Spence, I'd like to receive the message even if I am out of town. So the distance should be as far as several thousand miles, that is why a telephone call or a SMS message would be appropriate. IF I receive the alarm when I am out of town, I would call someone to go and check the process.

Thanks guys for all your help,

Regards,

Cesar
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2005-11-08 22:40

How about using a Pre-Paid SIM and a GSM modem, your alarm could send a SMS to your phone.

Here's a post I did a while back:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=465233

There is a Basic Stamp program attached to this message called SMSv2.BSP, uses a GSM modem to send SMS messages.

Mike

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "OEM NMEA GPS Module" Now available on ebay for only $19.99

Product web site: http://www.allsurplus.net/Axiom/

edited 2005-11-08 22:57
    Mike, what is a GSM modem and where do I get one?

Thanks,

Cesar
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2005-11-08 23:18
    a cermetek modem chip is 59.00$

A PINK is 139$

An external 5 year old modem is prolly 5$

You prolly already own a internet connected PC (or a pc with a modem)
    A cheaper method would be to skip both and have the stamp hooked upto a computer via com or usb. That would involve you programming a communication interface on your computer to have the COMPUTER either send a sms, email, or dial a computer connected modem.
    Heres info on programming in visual basic and communicating with the STAMP via the COM PORT.
    www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol3/col/nv89.pdf

What about those REALLY OLD MODEMS --cheap---? like a 9600 baud external modem. Hooks up to your pc via com port.
    Couldn't someone just communicate with the modem directly from the stamp? By sending it AT commands? You dont need speed, you just need it to dial a number, and then send a numeric "message" right?

Do a search on the net or here on connecting external modems to the stamp via com port.
    I have no idea if this can be done or how easy it is.
    I do know you will need a MAX232, which allows stamp to RS232 (com port) type communications.
    www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1798

But you might be able to use the COM PORT on your stamp prototype board i think. skipping the rs232 chip...

Post Edited (BPM) : 11/8/2005 11:34:23 PM GMT
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2005-11-08 23:33
    Cesar,

A GSM modem is just like a cell phone but with out a screen or a keyboard, works sorta like a land line modem. There are several possibilities on brands, I work for Enfora, they manufacture this type of equipment, so I'm biased on this brand. Other makers are WaveComm and a whole bunch of others, Google is a good place to start researching. You could look on the Enfora site, we have loads of downloadable documentation on our devices.

Another possibility would be to find an unlocked GSM cell phone on ebay that has a built in modem, but again you will need to google to find a make and model, only one that comes to mind right now would be a Samsung SGH-Q105.

If you want to talk about Enfora modems shoot me a PM. Also our equipment can be found on ebay, sometimes very cheap, because most people are not aware of us, and are unfamiliar with our products.

Mike

BTW: the Enfora modems have a built-in IP stack. They will do UDP and TCP PAD connections, if you need to do other types of communications. Most models have a built in "Event Engine" so an external processor may not be needed for your application.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "OEM NMEA GPS Module" Now available on ebay for only $19.99

Product web site: http://www.allsurplus.net/Axiom/

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 11/9/2005 12:02:04 AM GMT
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2005-11-09 00:29
    There are devices you can buy from places like Radio Shack that are meant for use by old folks living alone or similar situations. They wear a little medallion or necklace that has one button they can press, and that sends out a signal to a base connected to the phone lines, and the base dials out to a list of phone numbers, and voices a canned message, basically, "send help, I'm in trouble". You might be able to hack one of those via the button.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Jim RicheyJim Richey Posts: 82
    edited 2005-11-09 00:55
    I was thinking of a system to make the alarm dial out when Tracy Allen sugested using the "Help I fell down and I can't get up" gadget.Brilliant...look no more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks, Parallax!
    edited 2005-11-09 02:52
    Thanks EVERYONE for all your help! It has been very informative and definitely helpful.

BPM your idea should work and it should be cheap. I need a PC there, though, 24/7 doing the work, which should not be a problem because our department should have plenty of old PC's or laptops (with modems) to use. The only problem is that the area where I have this process is already fairly crowded, and also, the alarm is to detect spills, so I would have to water-proof the PC or laptop. A small device should fit better and will be easier to water-proof.

Tracy Allen, I think your idea is the SOLUTION!! thank you so much!! I don't know why I have not thought about it before. I wonder.

Radio Shack sells it for only $60:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2117828&cp

All I have to do is to rig the remote control (pendant) so that it is activated when the DC signal (i.e., alarm) is detected. This is easy enough. In fact, the rigging can be as easy as using the same DC signal alarm to power up the pendant, and simply tape the button to keep it pressed.

Thank you for all your help.

Regards,

Cesar
  • Philip GamblinPhilip Gamblin Posts: 202
    edited 2005-11-18 14:21
    The Samp generates DTMF ( phone push button tones ) quite easily. I would think it pretty straight forward to have it call a pager.
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-11-18 15:09
    The problem with the computer solution: it's large- it uses much more electricity- it adds another point of possible failure to the equation (Occam doesn't like that! [noparse];)[/noparse]

Philip has the right idea. You can generate DTMF with the stamp itself- since it will only be half-duplex (one way call, identified by the number on caller id), you won't need the communication ability of the modem.

Personally I'd go the internet route, but I'm biased [noparse];)[/noparse] With proper scripting, that could even send the SMS via the web. As well as email. And possibly the call as well (VoIP)- overkill, I know...

Tracy's suggestion is also great, but keep in mind you will have to hack the Radio Shack solution-

Good luck!

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2005-11-18 15:33
    In addition to dialing out to the pager, you might try using the stamp to shut down the process if it goes into alarm, as an additional cautionary measure.