Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Code to create MIDI SYNC with the BSII? — Parallax Forums

Code to create MIDI SYNC with the BSII?

Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
edited 2005-11-08 00:41 in BASIC Stamp
Ok, I've seen plenty of MIDI OUT examples using the BSII to create MIDI note on/off commands, but I haven't found anything that refers to the MIDI SYNC command used to synchronize the clock signal between MIDI devices. Here's a quick description of MIDI Sync:
Alesis Web Site said...
The MIDI specification includes synchronization capabilities in the form of digital timing messages, which are exchanged between pieces of equipment over the MIDI cable.

Start, Stop, and Continue

Synchronization messages are examples of System Common data (i.e., this data affects all instruments on all channels, not just individual instruments on individual channels). There are three main MIDI timing messages:

* Start tells the slave when the master has started so that the two units can start together. Start always causes a device to start at the beginning.
* Stop tells the slave when the master has stopped so that the two units can stop together.
* Continue tells the slave to resume playing from where it was last stopped so that the two units can continue together from that point.

The master MIDI clock emits 24 MIDI clock messages every quarter note. When a slave receives one of these messages, it advances its internal clock by 1/24th of a quarter note. In MIDI, clock messages have priority over all other messages to insure accurate timekeeping. Many devices, such as sequencers, further subdivide this clock rate internally so that events may be recorded with greater resolution (e.g., 1/480th of a quarter note).

--from alesis.com
So, has anyone created a program on the BSII that generates the MIDI Sync output? If so, is there some source somewhere I might view for experimentation...?

TIA!

smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

Post Edited (Vern) : 11/7/2005 11:36:50 PM GMT

Comments