Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Save variable contents to EEPROM at power-down? — Parallax Forums

Save variable contents to EEPROM at power-down?

N8YXN8YX Posts: 18
edited 2005-12-09 17:43 in BASIC Stamp
Greetings to all - great forum you have here!

I'm planning to use a BS2p-24 as part of an RF synthesizer design. It will be used
to control a DDS chip (AD9851). An optical encoder will be used to "tune" the Stamp,
which will perform some internal math with the "tuning" values and store them in internal
RAM (thanks W4ATK!), then output a control word to the DDS unit.

What I would like to implement is a way to store the last "stored" value prior to power-down.
The encoder might sit for minutes...hours...or seconds after it was "tuned" for the last
time, so an immediate write to EEPROM isn't a realistic solution. What I have in mind
is to monitor the state of the parent equipment's power supply through one of the
Stamp's INPUT pins, then at the first sign of power loss do an immediate write of the data
to EEPROM - which will be a 24LC32 or equivalent. (At most I'll need to keep track of 6 bytes
worth of data, but I don't want to use the Stamp's internal EEPROM area.)

The power-conditioning circuit I'm planning to use with the Stamp will keep +5v on the device for
at least 2 seconds after the main supply cuts out, so this idea is doable in theory.

At power-up, the Stamp will do the reverse...read the EEPROM and look for control-word
data which was captured at power-off. If such is found - and is valid - the Stamp will
send the data to the DDS. If not, a default value for the control word will be used.

Before I reinvent the wheel, has anyone actually done this? If so, do you have source
code and/or some guidelines?

Thanks!

...Fred...

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2005-11-04 13:30
    Fred,
    There is no need to add an external eeprom. You can simply use the one built into the stamp.
    Look in the help file under "READ" and "WRITE".
    That's sounds like a very interesting project, please keep us updated.
    Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "SX-Video·Module" Now available from Parallax for only $28.95

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012
    Product web site: www.sxvm.com
    Available now... SX-Video OSD module $59.95 www.sxvm.com

Those that would give up freedom for security will have neither.
    ·
  • N8YXN8YX Posts: 18
    edited 2005-11-04 14:52
    Bean,

If the onboard EEPROM has a write lifespan of considerably more than
    100,000 cycles, I would consider using it...as it were, I would prefer
    to use an external chip which could be changed in the event of a failure.
    What I don't want to happen is for the Stamp to quit working somewhere
    down the road...besides, I'm not sure exactly how much code the control
    program will require. I just might end up using all of it! freaked.gif

What I'm up to is the design of a synthesizer which will replace the analog
    PTO (permeability tuned oscillator) in the old Drake 7-line amateur radio
    gear. Those rigs are highly regarded - even by today's standards - and
    the only negative with them is that their main tuning method is somewhat drifty.

This isn't a problem if you're using them for casual shortwave listening, but if
    you're using the radios to demodulate RTTY, AMTOR or other digital signals the
    units won't cut the mustard. They have to stay on a given frequency and hold
    it to +/- 5hz in order to remain in the external demodulator's "passband".

There are a couple of add-on DDS VFO units available for the rigs at present,
    but you lose some of the "factory" functionality by using them ...and you cannot
    computer-control either of the units.

A Stamp allows me to interface the DDS serially to a PC and use any number
    of existing rig-control programs to remotely tune the synthesizer. I can also use
    an ADC to read other voltages in the rig; the output of which could be used to
    calculate a tuning-offset, or to send a byte-value representation of the rig's
    signal-strength meter to the PC...the possibilities are endless.

There are several other ham transceivers which could benefit from this design;
    Cubic's Astro 102/103 series readily come to mind. They're as good or better in
    performance as the Drakes, and use a PTO for tuning (of course...).

Computer control of these old "classics" would be really neat, as would absolute
    stability.

...Fred, 'YX...
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-11-04 15:28
    Fred,

·· I have dealt with this issue before in the past, however not on the BASIC Stamp.· The principle should be the same though.· There are two ways I can think of doing this.· One involves having a power supply with a nice set of caps on the output (Filtering caps).· You may have noticed that some equipment, when turned off, doesn't go right off.· This usually happens when the mains voltage is what's being switched off, and sometimes the power supply has a good charge on it's output (filter) capacitors.

·· What I have done is monitor the A/C line directly at the input to the P/S using an opto-coupler.· The output goes to an I/O pin which you monitor in your main program loop.· As soon as power-fail is detected, you initiate a save data routine, which stores critical values to the EEPROM.

·· As a side-note in my applications I had used a battery-backed RTC w/RAM or even battery-backed RAM (Dallas had some good NV-SRAM Chips).· Writing to EEPROM is slower than writing to RAM, so you can write more data before the power finally runs out.· If you had already had a·chip, such as a DS1302 or some other similar chip which had battery-backed RAM on it, you could use that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-11-04 15:41
    Chris,

The monitor-AC-voltage idea is a good thought; I'll look at doing
    just that. These rigs can also be powered from 12VDC, so I may
    have to monitor the 12VDC output as well.

I had considered using a Dallas RTC, but given that the assembly
    will be placed into the radio I'm leery about introducing a 32.768 KHz
    clock oscillator (with attendant harmonic "noise" in the form of square
    waves) into the works...

...Fred, 'YX...
    edited 2005-11-04 15:52
    Fred,

·· 12V hmmm?· Well, the idea is to catch the loss of power to the input of the regulator (If you unit uses one, which it should).· Depending on how much power the unit consumes, you may or may not have· sufficient time to perform the same.· You can usually tell just by having the BASIC Stamp write data to the LCD or blink an LED, and when you kill main power see how long it does this after.· If you can see a noticable delay, then you should be okay.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-04 16:00
    N8YX -- Since you're using a BS2p you've got I2C instructions that make handling an external EEPROM a breeze. You just need to assign the SDA/SCL pins to 0/1 or 8/9 -- otherwise there are no other issues.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2005-11-04 16:33
    Chris - I should be able to detect loss of power right at the regulator...and I'll also have to
    monitor the rig's separate +12VDC "input" line - but this is doable. I'm planning to use a rather
    large follower cap on the Stamp's 5VDC regulator output (10,000-15,000 uF) so a few seconds
    of power after shutdown should be obtainable.

Jon - Is there a bit of example R/W code for the 24LC32 floating around here somewheres? BTW,
    thanks for the heads-up on pin usage...
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-04 16:46
    I've attached a demo.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2005-11-04 17:10
    Thankya!

I've got some parts to order; already have the Stamp on hand.

Should anyone else be interested in the outcome of this experiment,
    stay tuned...
    edited 2005-11-04 18:27
    I'm sure a lot of people will be interested even if they don't say so, so you should definately post your results.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-11-15 13:00
    First "hurdle" tackled...wrote a quickie LED-blink routine and built the associated circuit on a BS2P Demo board...then placed the running project near an HF radio receiver. (Idea was to see if any RF noise was generated by the Stamp; critical to the project's success as the Stamp - along with the DDS unit - will be located inside the receiver in an enclosure.) The Stamp passed muster...couldn't detect any RF hash, even with the antenna pickup brought very close to the Stamp itself.

Next step...get the DDS units built. Two are headed my way, along with the optical encoder and a bunch of other required parts.
    edited 2005-12-09 17:43
    UPDATE Bringing this back to the top...

Got two of the AM-QRP DDS60 units in the mail yesterday. Decided to have a go at building one myself.

www.amqrp.org/kits/dds60/index.html

I've never soldered any SMT stuff before, and I built one of these complete without the use of a magnifier. About
    the build process: "Solder wick is your friend"...and darn, those devices are SMALL! freaked.gif

After the unit was finished I dug a Proto-board out of my desk, then installed a BS24p, the DDS60 unit and a few support
    components. On to the code...I borrowed a few lines from W4ATK's example and checked the output. The unit appeared
    to be generating something but I couldn't find the frequency on a general-coverage receiver. Nor could my counter discern
    it.

I began to wonder if I was sending the right data string to the unit...did some digging and came across the following
    online tools:

www.analog.com/Analog_Root/static/techSupport/designTools/interactiveTools/dds/ad9850.html

www.analog.com/Analog_Root/static/techSupport/designTools/interactiveTools/dds/ad9851.html

Plug in the reference oscillator frequency, the frequency you wish to generate and the utility spits out a serial and
    parallel wordset for each.

Armed with the new values, I modified the code...and sent the program to the Stamp. Lo and behold, a nice strong signal
    right where I expected it to be. hop.gif

I then put together the following pseudocode:

MAIN:

Set Frequency = 6.500.000

Set Frequency = 6.502.000

GOTO MAIN

No delays betewwn the "Set" commands (which are in actuality SHIFTOUT operations).

The goal was to test the set-up time of the DDS60 synthesizer. When I tuned the frequency in with the station's receiver,
    I got a nice solid ~240hz buzz...which is what was hoped for. The Stamp communicates with the DDS60 at
    9600 baud, and the control "word" that it sends 40 bits long. 9600/40 = 240...proving that I can shift
    frequency cleanly at 240 times per second or thereabouts. This is important because the optical encoder I'll be
    using for tuning has a 256 p-p-r output; it's wholly possible for a user to spin it at 1 rev per second (or faster).

I'm probably going to use a BS2PX24 in the final design; it communicates @ 19200 baud max and should alleviate
    serial-comm speed problems - if any do arise.

Next step: Emulate an optical encoder via the use of a couple of pushbuttons...until the one which is on backorder
    finally shows up. Then it's time to start laying out the main carrier board and fitting parts.