Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Lcd's — Parallax Forums

Lcd's

Rutcgr18Rutcgr18 Posts: 47
edited 2005-11-03 03:33 in BASIC Stamp
not sure if i have posted this or not but anyways.· I am working on making thermoter that tells me road temp as well as outside temp.· I have the road temp sesor i need to get the out side temp sensor but i also need to get a lcd that will show me both temps and if posible have a bar graph display to show temp change.· Has anyone done anything like this or recomend what lcd i should use?· I will use the basic stamp to drive the project jsut need some imput on componets for you guys· let me know
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-11-02 15:20
    Mike,

·· You can use the Parallax 2X16 Serial LCD Display for this purpose.· Not only can it show both temps on one line, but if you need a Bar Graph, there is an example in the Projects Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Rutcgr18Rutcgr18 Posts: 47
    edited 2005-11-02 15:50
    Thanks for the info but i want something that i can do a line graph with will that lcd work?
  • Adrian SchneiderAdrian Schneider Posts: 92
    edited 2005-11-02 15:58
    If it is just a simple bar graph you can get away with a character display using block graphics. However,
    have a look at parallax lcd section, they have some with pixel graphics capabiliites:
    http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/products/audiovisual/lcd.asp

an other source (also docu & specs available):

http://www.seetron.com/slcds.htm

Regards
    Adrian
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-11-02 16:18
    Watch for more selection in LCDs from Parallax in the near future.

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
    edited 2005-11-02 17:10
    Rutcgr18 said...
    Thanks for the info but i want something that i can do a line graph with will that lcd work?
    You mentioned a Bar Graph in your first post, and a Line Graph this time.· Bar graphs can easily be done on character LCD Displays...Line Graphs require a graphical display.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2005-11-02 18:04
    Thank you for that hint Ryan.... we all look forward to your future products!

Tim
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2005-11-02 18:18
    Rutcgr18 said...

Line Graphs require a graphical display.

Buy a used nokia 5160/5165 cell phone(make sure it works) and do this:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=555533
  • Tom-Matrix OrbitalTom-Matrix Orbital Posts: 38
    edited 2005-11-02 18:53
    Hi Mike,

You may also want to check out Matrix Orbital serial interface displays aswell. We have included bar graph commands built into the modules. All you would need to place in your code is the command syntax which is outlined in the manuals. Everything is adjustable in the software, and it's easily interfacable with the Basic Stamp. There are plenty of examples with the Basic Stamp communicating with a Matrix Orbital display shown at www.matrixorbital.ca/appnotes/basic_stamp/ I would take a look at one of the displays manual like the LK162-12. This is a 16x2 character display, and the manual is located at www.matrixorbital.ca/manuals/LK_series/LK162-12/ You check out our large selection of dislays at www.matrixorbital.com/

Feel free to PM me, if you have any further questions.
    edited 2005-11-02 22:30
    This is what i want the lcd to look like. I made it in photoshop lcd.jpg tell me if this can be done
    thanks
    mike
    edited 2005-11-02 22:48
    Yep, you'll need a graphical display, and some practice programming one.· This won't be something that there will be a packaged code to do.· And the code will vary with the display.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-11-02 23:10
    what do you recommend for an lcd and were can i learn about prgram lcd displays
    Thanks
    Mike
    edited 2005-11-02 23:36
    Mike,

·· As I said, different LCD Displays have different ways to program them.· You will have to decide on one first, then worry about programming it.· Depending on the display you choose, there may or may not be programming examples out there that you can use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-11-02 23:38
    Also bear in mind...You show a plot of temperature over time, so you will need to find a range of that plot and contiously update the display with it, but only after you've filled both panes with that data.· There are some displays which are graphical and which support multiple user zones, but it really depends on your programming skills as to how easy/hard it will be.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2005-11-03 00:52
    This site was recently posted in another thread on color LCDs, it might be worth looking at.

www.shop-en.display3000.com/pd1127081354.htm?categoryId=0
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-11-03 00:57
    I'm a big fan of Scott Edwards' displays.· It's been a while since I've done anything graphical, but this article might help.

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/cols/nv/vol1/col/nv37.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2005-11-03 03:33
    Kevin that looks nice i am going to email them and ask them a few question iam new to all this so i dont know much about it i probly getting over my head but i gues you have to learn right
    Mike