BrewerzBrewerz Posts: 2
edited 2005-11-06 00:06 in BASIC Stamp
················· Automatic start generator Swamp deer camp window Unit
·········
·I am looking for a way to use bs2 to pull a relay to·break the solinod to
stop a starter from spinnig on a generator. I can not come up with a way to
send an unput to the bs2 when the 4cyl gas wisconson moter reaches 800 rpms.·

·I have made a device that uses a wall thermastate and a window unit and it is
run by a bank off batterys and an invertor. What it does is start a gas generator· when the thermastate temp comes up to where it is set then 2 minutes later the window unit comes on and runs till the thermastate drops 6 degrees·then the ac turns off and·1 minute later it kills the generator.

·· Every thing works great but curcit to take out the starter solinod.
I was useing a centrifical switch. Was not dependable.
··················Any·help would be Great
················································ Brewer··

Comments

• ejdarlingejdarling Posts: 24
    edited 2005-11-02 02:04
    You could put normally-closed relay contacts in the wire to the solenoid, and hook the coil of the relay to the generator output; generator starts, voltage comes up, relay contacts open.·Current used·to hold·it open is negligible.·
    You could just run the starter for a predetermined time, programmed into the BS-2. If it didn't start, try again, etc.
    Good luck!··
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2005-11-02 02:34
    Any means of determining the RPMs?· Improvise a tachometer?· Photo-reflective/IR, count the pulses?
  • BrewerzBrewerz Posts: 2
    edited 2005-11-02 03:20
    ejdarling
    I tried useing a relay. Generator voltage has to much lag time. It would burn the starter up if left like that for long tome use. But I am going to leave it hucked up has
    a saftey backup. As for running starter for a predetermined time. Should work I`ve
    just bee thinking to deep. Thanks going to try it.

PJ Allen
    I did some reading on interfaceing a Tach. I am just I beginer to basic stamps.
    I think thats over my head at the moment.
    Thanks
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2005-11-02 05:24
    You could also connect a couple of Hall affect sensors....
    These are little devices that are sensitive to magnetics changes....and you attach little magnets to a turning point.
    So, if you have part of a shaft that is exposed....you could attach these magnets and do a simple pulsin (with some added 'circuitry' maybe) or you could even put some reflective tape on a serpentine belt ( in multiple spots--measured distances) and then use some sort of opto/laser/IR? to read it in....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-11-02 15:48
    Brewer,

I would really want a system that cut the starter when the motor gets moving, not just crank the motor for a specified period of time. Even a small amount of delay in cutting off the starter will result in excessive wear on the Bendix gear and shaft, as well as the ring gear on the motor. I think the difference in starting temps will make for different start lengths, and that you will have to program the length for a cold day, grinding the gears on warm days.

The Hall effect sensors as mentioned above would be one way to go. Or a reflective disc on a pulley. Either way, make sure it has good enough resolution at low RPM to be able to quickley determine a start condition. If you have put together your system so far, I'm sure the tach isn't more than you can handle.

I've worked on a few generators with auto-start (I live in a rural area that loosed power for days, even weeks at a time in the winter) All of them have a sensor of some variety to determine a start condition. I hav'en't ever poked around with the innards to see how they worked.

One thing is you say the voltage rises too slowley to use. That seems odd to me, and I wonder if your gen has a circuit to prevent juice being ouput until the motor gets up to speed. I wonder if you measured right at the windings as opposed to the outlet if you would find the voltage rising. I think you would.

Just my $.02.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • Jim RicheyJim Richey Posts: 82
    edited 2005-11-06 00:06
    If I understand properly,you want to disengage the starter once the generator has reached operating rpm.If this is correct,you might consider using the AC voltage produced as a reference point,as the voltage will be related directly to the engine speed.You could utilize a voltage divider to reduce the AC to a reasonable level,rectify it with diodes,then you will have a fluctuating DC voltage proportionate to the engine speed.At that point,a simple comparator type circuit will do.