Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
usb to serial adapter cables — Parallax Forums

usb to serial adapter cables

ejdarlingejdarling Posts: 24
edited 2005-11-02 13:39 in BASIC Stamp
Hi! I Just got my first little program working with a BS-1 on a Supercarrier board & 9v. battery. It has an eternal loop that flashes 4 LED's in turn on pins 0 thru 3. (It will ultimately be a fountain-controller.) Anyway, it works fine when I use the serial port on my desk PC, but I want to program it with my laptop which only has USB, so I sent away for the el-cheapo "Wailly" brand USB converter cable.
·The BS editor (v 2.1) which found a "BS-1, ver 1.4" running from the desk PC, reports that it tokenizes OK, but·is "unable to program BS-1 version 0.0", and to "contact Parallax for software upgrade,"·when run thru the laptop and USB converter cable. Same editor, same program, same board...
·I have checked that the com port is set to 4800,N,8,1, or whatever matches the port on the PC which does work. Is there anything else I could check before trying a different converter cable?·· Thanks, Eric

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
thanks for your time,· Eric

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-11-02 03:31
    For tried and true results, use the us232 adapter cable·from parallax which uses the FTDI chipset, stamps require extra handshaking lines to work properly, something most dirt cheap adapters don't have.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-11-02 13:24
    Yup, there are MANY USB to Serial adapters, and only a FEW of them properly implement the 'hand-shake' lines (RTS/CTS, DTR/DCD) that Parallax uses to reset its processors. This is a problem with the vendors, NOT with Parallax.

Known workers are the BAFO unit (still available?) the FTDI which Parallax has standardized on, and the KeySpan 19 units. If the USB to Serial adapter is for PDA's, most likely it WILL NOT WORK, as PDA's only need TX, RX, and GND to work.
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2005-11-02 13:39
    If you need multiple serial ports, the "INSIDE OUT NETWORKS" EdgePort/4 or /8 works with:

All basic stamps that I have (BS2 BSp24), Javelin, and SX-KEY

Look on ebay, you can usually find them very reasonably priced.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "OEM NMEA GPS Module" Now available on ebay for only $19.99

Product web site: http://www.allsurplus.net/Axiom/