Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HDSP2111 smart Alphanumric display — Parallax Forums

HDSP2111 smart Alphanumric display

dbjdbj Posts: 75
edited 2005-11-01 15:25 in BASIC Stamp
·Has any one ever used the HDSP2111· smart Alphanumric display
with a basic stamp, I have seen some things on·256 ASCII· but not on·128 ASCII. I would like to use for display on curent project but cant find any similar projects using this kind of display. will attach the spec sheet. Thanks David

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-11-01 02:29
    Ive worked with the HDLG-2416, I dont have the ability to view pdf's on this computer, but I think the hdsp is the serial version. All the normal characters fit within 128, and some of the ones above 128 have been remapped to the lower numbers taking the place of the tty terminal codes since they are unprintable characters.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-11-01 14:39
    Old history.
    ABC and 123 really account for 26 and 10 characters respectively. You have a lot of extra bytes to fool with. Even if you have Capital and Lower Case chracters, you only come up with 56 without punctuation, special brakets, line drawing, unprintable control codes, etc.

As I understand it, the original ASCII was 128 and only required 7 bits of a byte. The other bit was used for parity checking. With the extension to 256, in one version many European characters were included and in a second version the Japanese phonetic characters were included.

By the way, IBM chose to use its own EBDIC as an alternative set. One might consider this a primative encoding to hide information. I think it started as 128 bytes too.

Now with GUI, we have gone to Unicode to allow Chinese, Japanese, Korean and other character based languages. Each charcter used a two byte or 16 bit word. In this way, the 7000 individual characters that Chinese requires are each assigned a unique code. But, ASCII is still included as a subset.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2005-11-01 15:25
    Pardon my french, but that is the crappiest ascii character set figure I have ever seen (the pdf document you posted), not only are the characters hard to read, but its hard to decipher the organization of the chart (why do they offset the characters, and why to they list them asian style (going down rather than across). Take a look at http://literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5988-3269EN.pdf·in comparison, made by the same company (Agilent) but much more clear. The ascii codes for a-z A-Z and 0-9 are the same for both, but the remapped special characters are different between the two modules, plus the hdsp has 16·user defined charactors. As long as you follow the timing diagrams, you should have no problems interfacing with the display, you can look at my SX assembler code that interfaces with the hdlg, but it's not PBASIC obviously. If you'd like I can pseudo code the routine into PBASIC when I get home, maybe if I have enough time Ill test it on a stamp. But it appears there are some fundamental differences between the hdsp and hdlg, so it may not work on your module.

PS the hdsp is not serial, just a different series of the same type of display.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10