Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
time signal — Parallax Forums

time signal

bobroanbobroan Posts: 37
edited 2005-11-02 15:25 in BASIC Stamp
Does anyone know how to get the braodcast time signal (it's the one that is used by those clocks that set themselves) and get it into a stamp?

thanks

bob·

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-11-01 00:19
    Bob,

There are a couple ways. One is to get a unit that recives the WWVB signal and decodes it, then outputs it in serial form to the Stamp. I have a unit that Parallax used to sell, but it is now obsolete and the only other one the company makes is expensive, like $200 plus.

Another way is to use a GPS unit. You can get Motorola Oncore units for less than $25 on ebay, or you could when I bought mine. There are also new chips out for GPS< but I haven't used one yet.

Another way is to get a cheap WWVB synched clock. Many of them have a 1 PPS signal that comes out that you can use to keep a clock synched. This won't tell you the time but can be used as a reference to keep the clock "honest"

Yet another way is via a PC and the internet. That would mean a dedicated PC tho, or at least frequent use.

I made a Stamp based clock using Nixie tubes for the display and synched to the WWVB channel. You can see details here:

http://madlabs.info/atomic_nixie_clock.shtml

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • bobroanbobroan Posts: 37
    edited 2005-11-02 06:59
    Jonathan,

Thanks for all those suggestions.· It looks like a gps unit may be the best route for me.· Where can I find out how to interface something like the oncore to my stamp?· Do you know how I could find out more about those gps chips?

thanks

bob
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2005-11-02 15:25
    Bob,

There are oodles of GPS code around for the Stamp. Jon has done a N&V article, and the question has come up many times. Look in the archives and on Parallax's website.

I'm less sure about the newer GPS chips. I'll dig around and look for a link that was sent to me for one a friend of mine thought looked good. One thing I *imagine* with the chips is that you will have to take care how you put the unti together. The GPS signal is relatively weak, so to get good reception you will need to take care in board construction.

Remember that you will need an antenna as well. I got a cheap active GPS antenna on e-bay. It was a used pullout from equipment, but it works fine.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot