Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Vdd vs Vin - What are they specifically. — Parallax Forums

Vdd vs Vin - What are they specifically.

T&E EngineerT&E Engineer Posts: 1,396
edited 2005-10-31 18:40 in BASIC Stamp
I have a BOE-BOT Board of Education (rev C) microcontroller stamp board which has a Vdd jumper and a Vin jumper. I currently use a 5vdc - 2A (what luck!)·P/S·from an unused Linsys Printer Server.

I can connect the 5 vdc power supply·to the board and it doesn't matter·if I put the jumper on Vdd or Vin. However, I also have connection for a 9VDC battery on the board or could also use·the ·4 AA battery pack (which BTW - mine came wired backwards - so I just put the batteries in backwards which works - Radio Shack wanted me to bring the entire BOE-BOT back in for a simple part replacement - not worth it to me).

Anyway, where does the 4 AA battery pack plug into go and where does the 9 vdc battery go - Vdd or Vin?
Does Vin refer the the pin on the BS2 going to the on chip 5v regulator or is that Vdd?

For now it is not a problem as I get anywheres between 5.15vdc and 4.93vdc depending where I am measureing the 5vdc Linksys power supply.

I·also·wanted to know what I should use if take the BS2 off the Board of Education rev C board and place it onto a breadboard using a 7805 or not (what voltage limits do I have - assuming I'm not using the Linksys 5vdc power supply and something higher like 12 vdc for example).

Thanks for answering my·questions as I know I always get great support on this site.

Timothy Gilmore·

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2005-10-31 18:33
    Vin is the voltage source that the on-board regulator bucks down to 5V and regulates (keeps constant.)· VDD is the down-regulated 5V (the output from the on-board regulator)·that the STAMP uses.·

If you're running 5V to VDD (i.e. your Linsys 5V, 2A) then·be sure and check that it's really 5V.· Most wall-warts, &c. aren't regulated and that one might be 5V at 2A and a much higher voltage at lower current/s.
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2005-10-31 18:40
    PJ beat me to the REPLY button [noparse];)[/noparse]

Happy Halloween!

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com