Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
object ovoidance help — Parallax Forums

object ovoidance help

lobolobo Posts: 100
edited 2005-10-30 23:41 in BASIC Stamp
how can i set up on the boe-bot an ·infrared emitter and detector for object obvoidance. i'm not using the ones that come with the boe-bot. i bought a package at radio shack that contains both an infrared Emitter and Detector. the emitter has acathode and anode leges and the Emitter has a cathode and emitter(two legs).

So how should i setup the connections. Thanks for ya help!!

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-30 02:56
    Is this related to your other thread about sensors and robotics?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • lobolobo Posts: 100
    edited 2005-10-30 03:49
    no
    edited 2005-10-30 03:57
    lobo said...(trimmed)
    i bought a package at radio shack that contains both an infrared Emitter and Detector. the emitter has acathode and anode leges and the Emitter has a cathode and emitter(two legs).
    So how should i setup the connections. Thanks for ya help!!
    You mentioned the legs on the emitter twice...But anyway, the detector should have an emitter and a cathode.· The base it driven by light.· The IR LED (What you're calling the emitter) should be wired just like the IR LED in the BOE-Bot.· The Detector should be wired so that it's emitter is connected to Vss and it's collector is tied to an I/O line, as well as pulled to Vdd through a 10K resistor.· The I/O pin will normally read HIGH until the Detector senses IR light, which will make it go LOW.· The only problem with this system is it can be affected by ambient light.· Without modulation and a decoder this won't be a very effective system.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-10-30 04:27
    thank you for that. but what set parallax detector apart from the detector i'am using?
    edited 2005-10-30 04:39
    The detector we use has three leads.· It has a built-in 38.5 khz decoder/filter for modulated IR in the 40 khz range.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
    edited 2005-10-30 05:33
    i cannected the ir led and the emitter but it doesnt work why?
    edited 2005-10-30 05:36
    what kind of modulater and decoder do i need and where can i get them?
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-10-30 15:39
    lobo... I think I know the part from Radio Shack you are using... I tried the same thing you did when I first started... That part has almost no range... I actually think it is a slot configuration where it will detect something passing between the two posts of the detector, not in front of it. These components are good for encoders, not for object avoidance. The best thing to do to get started is to buy the components from Parallax so you can follow the Robots! Stamps in Class curriculum. Then you can begin to experiment with other IR emitters (and detectors).
    edited 2005-10-30 16:03
    thanks. Just to be sure the package says the following:

276-142
    1pair

infrared
    emitter and
    Detector

contains one emitter and one detector

opto device
    edited 2005-10-30 19:03
    According to the Radio Shack website these are individual components.· The question is, do you know which one is the IR LED, and which one is the Detector?· This seems to be what trips most people up, since physically they are the same (Just different color).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • Steve JoblinSteve Joblin Posts: 784
    edited 2005-10-30 23:41
    That is different that what I was thinking... Chris makes a good point. The best thing to do is buy the parts from Parallax that you know will work. You can then substitute the Emitters and see if it still works, then the Detectors and see if it still works.