Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need 4" servo horn — Parallax Forums

Need 4" servo horn

bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
edited 2005-10-31 16:41 in Robotics
Right now I'm using a wooden dowel hot glued to the plastic servo horn that came with the servo, but it isn't strong enough to withstand the forces it will be subjected to. Where can I get a (preferably metal) servo horn that's at least 4" long?

Comments

• Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2005-10-29 19:43
    Servo City/RobotZone has long horns but they don't give the length on·many of them. They also say they will custom make them to your specs so you might want to get in touch and see what they can do.

http://www.servocity.com/
    http://www.robotzone.com/

Kenny
    ·
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2005-10-30 16:47
    If you cannot find the correct size servo horn, you might be able to small tie straps with glue for extra added strength regarding the use of the dowel.· I had a project where I put a small section of a golf shaft on a servo using small tie straps and it works very well.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-10-31 16:38
    I have seen long servo horns in both plastic and aluminum on the web. I believe that they are mainly used in model sailboats. You should be looking at the R/C hobby suppliers.

BTW, that should be an xtra heavy duty servo as your lever arm is really going to stress the gear box.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-10-31 16:41
    Yes, TorqueForce = Mass * Displacement. If you have a 4" displacement, then the servo can move 1/4 less force than at a 1" displacement. This may or may not be an issue for your Servo, depending on the force it needs to exert.