Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can BS2 send an email ? — Parallax Forums

Can BS2 send an email ?

ediedi Posts: 19
edited 2005-10-29 18:02 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

Can my BS2 send an email ??

Thanks.

PS :· I do not need help with connecting & configuring a modem to the BS2. I can handle this part of the problem.

Comments

• LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2005-10-29 17:06
    Actually, you are expecting quite a bit.

I just noticed Parallax is coming out with a new Internet kit next week that may be what you want.

The BS2 can send ASCII text over an RS-232 port. If you have the BS2 connected to a LAN network, you can get a 'virtual RS-232' connection over the LAN and/or Internet. Similarly, it might send a short email. Or, you might have the BS2 send code which would issue messages via your computer and actually send email to an address.

Obviously, if you want the BS2 to do it all in one package, you are expecting a bit too much. Just connecting it to a modem won't get you properly into the Internet. It might dial the phone number and log on, but I am not sure you can handle all requirements and messages in the space it has.

There are several [noparse][[/noparse]I believe 7 layers] of network protocol. Each only looks at the one below and the one above. For true e-mail, you would be involved with almost all of them.

If you wanted it to receive email, the problem might be worse as you would have to filter out unwanted messages [noparse][[/noparse]like SPAM].

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 10/29/2005 5:12:39 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-29 18:02
    Stay tuned for your answer...Patience is the key!· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com