Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sampling frequency of the Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

Sampling frequency of the Basic Stamp

BeleraformBeleraform Posts: 1
edited 2005-10-28 20:24 in BASIC Stamp
I am doing a project where I am using the basic stamp as a digital controller. I would like to know the sampling frequency to assure that amount of sampling is enough for the bandwidth of my system.
Thanks

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2005-10-28 14:59
    Hello,

·· The BASIC Stamp timing/resolution for many of the time-sensitive commands is listed in the Help File.· For example, PULSOUT has 2uS resolution on the BS2.· Now, depending on how accurate you need to be, you can use the SX with SX/B and get extremely accurate timing.· My guess is the BASIC Stamp will work for you though.· There are a few customers using these in Fuel-Injection Systems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-10-28 20:24
    If you 'sample' with the BS2 by reading one or more pins, storing the value, then reading the pins again, you will probably be limited to about 1,000 samples per second max. It may be much lower, as you'll probably want to write the samples to external eeprom, which takes about 1 mSec just for the write.

The BS2 cycles at about 4,000 instructions per second. "Sampling" with such a relatively slow processor could be disappointing. Depends on what you're sampling, though. Sampling sound is not going to work well. Sampling the temperature of a room every 30 seconds or minute could work fine.