Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Trying to find a good text for VisualBasic-->Stamp programming — Parallax Forums

Trying to find a good text for VisualBasic-->Stamp programming

TaylortronicTaylortronic Posts: 20
edited 2005-10-28 02:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hello Stamp Forum readers,

I've been working on a project that involves using my computer in conjunction with my basic stamp. Obviously this will involve communication between the computer and the stamp and I'll have to write a VB app to trade data and directions, etc. I'm a new VB programmer and I really need a great info resource for this specifically. I'm sure this is a well-trod path and I know I'm going to need to do this a lot for the kind of ideas that I have. Can anybody point me to a text or something so I can really crack down and develop this programming technique the right way?

thanks,
Taylortronic
p.s. parallax rocks!

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2005-10-27 14:52
    For years (+20) I have been a QuickBasic programmer, and have slowly been teaching myself VisualBasic.
    Here is about the "simplest" example (<--It has to be that way for myself) of a PC talking to a Stamp using VB4...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=549166

Scroll towards the bottom for the Visual Basic code, the top contains the Stamp code (you will need this) and Quickbasic code.

When I initially "GOOGLE'd" for an example to help me out, the application was for receiving RS232 signals into Visual Basic via the "RS232.Input" function.
    After playing around with it a bit I discovered by trial and error the "RS232.Output" function which allowed me to communicate to the Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2005-10-27 15:06
    Check out the VB books on www.murach.com/index.htm. They get high ratings on Amazon, and there are sample chapters for download.
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2005-10-27 21:25
    Don't forget about StampDAQ.

It has VB examples that you can LOOK at.

http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_stampdaq.asp
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2005-10-27 21:36
    Try the attached, it will get you over the basic interfacing part.

It contains a working VB program, with source.· It also includes a text file, which tell you how to regenerate the VB program using the VB IDE.· It contains a very simple BS2 code to send out a byte once every so often.

Now, you also have to know that the BS2 RS232 hardware will echo everything sent to it -- so you'll have to remove the echo'ed characters from VB before you get the BS2's response.

It's really not complicated enough to deserve an entire book, though.
  • TaylortronicTaylortronic Posts: 20
    edited 2005-10-28 02:48
    wow. first of all, thanks for the direction. i'm starting to wrap my mind around the issue and i'm surprised how much more manageable the task of getting my computer to play with my basic stamp has become. in fact, i'm keeping this message short because i can't wait to try this stuff out, but i'll check back soon.

thanks again,
    taylortronic